20

Jungkook

Hoseok and I have been observing Jin for the better part of an hour. His hair looked damp and his face was bleak. JungHwa's expression of complete hopelessness mirrored his father's. The baby slept on, on Jin's back, oblivious to the periodic shuffling of both Jin and JungHwa as they continued following the line. Their clothes too were torn and worn in several places. But the shoes were the worst. Jin's was practically torn through completely while JungHwa's was equally old and worn. What fascinated me the most though was, how Jin had secured the baby on his back without him falling.

The cloth contraption resembled a baby carrier that parents used to secure their offspring to their bosoms. But those were safe and had a whole set of harnesses. I had seen many parents using them in malls. But the thing that Jin had on, was a mere cloth with maybe a towel that ran over the baby and tied securely in the front of Jin's chest and waist.

"Why are they queueing here Hobi? All these people. They look so poor and sad," I observed.

"It is a shelter for the homeless. A lucky few get a bed for the night or food rations provided by the government. The temporary living quarters are appaling and unsafe."

"Why is Jin here? I don't understand any of it! He has a baby Hobi! A baby! He never told me about the child. I feel awful that he's here. Why is he here when he lives at the palace?"

"Don't worry Jungkook, we'll get to the bottom of it. I, myself, am deeply concerned for Seokjin right now. When he interviewed for the position as pastry chef, I assured him that the palace was accommodating to families of employees, so I can't understand why he wouldn't disclose the fact that he had a baby."

Seokjin shuffled further up the line. He was next to see the lady and man, sitting at the table outside. They seemed to be the curators of this place. They had clipboards and pens and would periodically right down some information after talking to the person in the line.

"Maybe he felt if he disclosed the fact of having a baby, he would lose the position. I don't know. I can't stand to see him like this! It makes me think on some things that he had spoken to me about when we went on our date. He's had a hard life Hobi," I said, as tears pooled in my eyes.

Hoseok patted my hand reassuringly. We were seated inside my car, across the street from the shelter. The windows were tinted so we weren't concerned about being found out. And then it was Jin's turn. He bowed to both the people at the table and spoke to them. After a few minutes, he was directed to go around out back. Hoseok instructed JeongHan to drive back and follow him at a safe distance.

My heart was beating out of my chest as I watched Seokjin hold onto JungHwa's hand tightly as they proceeded to the side of the building. He disappeared inside and reappeared after a few minutes. But now he was carrying two packets of what looked like baby diapers and some cans of food. JungHwa too, was carrying a grocery bag in one hand.

The car followed him slowly and no one dared to speak a word. Seokjin walked a few blocks until he came to a set of tents and makeshift box houses. He disappeared inside and reappeared once again with only JungHwa hanging onto his arm. The two of them walked a great distance until they entered a gas station.

"This part of town is a little better now your grace. I was worried when we were back there. I hope Jin is okay though."