Chapter 9: Griever Attack

The next day, was as usual. I worked in the gardens with Newt and it was Thomas's first day as Runner. I hope they find something. All of a sudden, we hear a rumbling noise coming from the maze. That's weird. The maze changes only at night. We gather around the maze doors to see if Minho and Thomas make it. We see them running back to us in time. Phew!

"Now what the hell's going on out there?" Newt asks curiously.

"What the hell you done now, Thomas?" Gally asks feeling annoyed.

"We found something. A new passage. We think it could be a way out." Thomas answers.

"Really?" Newt and I ask them simultaneously.

"It's true. We opened a door. Something I've never seen before. I think it must be where the Grievers go during the day." Minho adds.

"Wait, whoa whoa whoa. Are you saying you found the Grievers' home...and you want us to go in?" Chuck asks them worriedly.

"Their way in could be our way out, Chuck." Thomas reassures Chuck.

I knew we would get out of here! I'm so looking forward to it! I hope I find my parents!

"Yeah, or there could be a dozen Grievers on the other side. The truth is, Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual!" Gally protests in which I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, well, at least I did something, Gally. I mean, what have you done?" Thomas says right in Gally's face.

"Yeah. Aside from hide behind these walls?" I chime in.

"Let me tell you something, you two. Greenie, you've been here a month. Girl-Greenie, you've been here 3 days, alright? I've been here three years." Gally talks back.

"Yeah, and you're still here, Gally. So what does that tell you, man? Maybe you should start doing something." Thomas says.

Then they start arguing.

"Guys. Hey. It's Alby!" Teresa shouts which shuts up Thomas and Gally.

"He's awake." she announces.

We walk over to the med-jack tent to check on Alby. He is sitting up with his arms crossed, looking at the wall, with a traumatized face.

"Has he said anything?" Minho asks Teresa.

"No." she answers.

Newt sits next to Alby with a concerned look on his face.

"Alby? Alby, you alright?" Newt asks Alby in his soothing voice.

Alby doesn't respond, but has tears filling up his eyes.

"Hey, Alby...we might have just found a way out of here. You hear me? We could be getting out of here." Thomas says to Alby.

"We can't. We can't leave. They won't let us." Alby says as a tear streams down his cheek.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"I remember..." Alby says as his voice breaks.

"What do you remember?" Thomas asks him.

Alby turns his head to Thomas and then me.

"You. And you, too, Jacqui." he answers.

I gasp softly and back up a little slowly in fear and confusion.

"You two were always their favorites. Always. Why did you do this? Why did you both come here?" he says as more tears stream down his cheeks.

We hear the Gladers screaming for some reason. We rush out of the med-jack tent and see what's going on.