𝔪𝔞𝔤𝔲𝔰 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔰𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫

"Hey

"Hey." Saerin called, sitting beside Sejeong. She handed her a can of sprite and smiled. "Taeil said you could use some peptalk. You know, latent to latent."

Sejeong accepted the drink with both hands and mumbled a quiet thanks. She took a small sip as she looked down at her shoes. "Am I broken?" 

"Who isn't?" Saerin chuckled. "But if you're referring to yourself as a mage, you're not. Our kind isn't even aware of their magic. Kind of irritating isn't it? Only being able to use your magic because of a certain person."

"Did he teach you how to control your magic?" Sejeong asked. "Taeil I mean."

"No, he can't teach me something he doesn't know. I had to learn on my own with Taeil as my guinea pig." Saerin clarified. "You can use your magic main magic too. It just takes a little practice."

"How? I don't want to be useless to the group." Sejeong's eyes lit up with the tiniest ray of hope.

"You see, latents aren't like normal mages who need to channel their mana in order to use their magic. The reason why our magic is special is because we don't just use light, we become the light. That's why we only get to use it when we meet the right person." Saerin explained.

"If you keep furrowing your eyebrows like that it'll turn into a caterpillar." Jisung teased, flicking her forehead.

"Way to shake my whole brain, Ji." She grumbled, shooting him a glare. He pushed her bangs aside and kissed the spot he had flicked.

"There." He smiled. "You need to have a clear mind to win."

Donghyuck jokingly gagged from the driver's seat, making Jisung's ears turn red. It had been a long quiet drive towards the location Felix sent them through text. They decided to go knowing it could be a trap as they had prepared. 

The map of the abandoned neighborhood was very vague and had red dots. Chenle suspected that the three red dots were where Felix could possibly be. The team split into three according to which magic would work well together. It would be better than being wiped out all at once and be unable to call for help. 

Team B, as they called it, was following them a safe distance away. The team consisted of Taeil, Doyoung, and two other people they knew as Jaehyun and Jungwoo. It was a somewhat balanced team, having two Aureus magus and two normal mages who complemented each other.

"How can you be so relaxed when we're literally on our way to face the enemy?" Sejeong 

"I have you beside me. Why should I be scared?" Jisung grinned.

"Anything can happen in the battlefield, Park." Renjun reminded.

"And you should be back in Anteiku with Saerin and Sungchan but your dumb ass is here." Jisung sassed. 

"Park Jisung who taught you how to speak like that?" Jaemin gasped. "Oh wait, your girlfriend."

"You make it sound like it's a bad thing!" Sejeong disagreed. "Feel bad for Hyuck, he's worse than me!"

"I will crash this car into the nearest ditch." Donghyuck threatened, slightly picking up the speed. Sejeong's hand shot up to hold onto the grab handle for dear life. 

"I dare you." Chenle challenged, rolling his eyes. "If I have to live with all your bickering I'd rather die."

"One peaceful moment. Is that so hard to ask for?" Jeno sighed, looking out the window. "I should have rode in Taeil's car."

"Jisung has a point though. You barely have a day's worth of life force left yet you're going out into battle." Jaemin addressed. 

"We need all the manpower we have, don't we?" Renjun shrugged. "What am I suppose to do? Sit like a duck and hope you guys come home in one piece? And if someone came back severely injured do you think I'll be glad?"

"I can't go anywhere without my meat shield after all." Sejeong joked.

"Bitch?" 

"We're here." 

Those two words were enough to throw the light mood out the window. Donghyuck pulled up a safe distance away, hiding the car away in the trees. Everyone exited the car and paired up with their assigned partners.

"We'll split up here. It's better to cover more ground than to just get wiped out at once." Sejeong discussed. 

"If we don't finish up in 20, Taeil's team will come to help. Stay alive and update each other." Jisung reminded. They all shared a knowing look before Chenle and Jeno separated from the group first. 

"Hey Pikachu."

"What Jynx?"

Jaemin impatiently tapped his foot as he waited for Renjun to finish talking with Sejeong. The Chinese boy returned to his side a few moments later, eyebrows nearly meeting at how hard he thought. 

"A unibrow looks good on you." Jaemin teased as he adjusted his baseball cap. He took Renjun's soft shove, watching the latter roll his eyes as he began walking. "What did you guys talk about to get you all bothered like that?"

"She asked me if I remembered anything during the treatment." Renjun answered before freezing in his spot. The hairs on the back of his neck stood as he felt it. He pushed Jaemin to the ground, narrowly dodging the multiple rocks flying at them.

"How annoying to have you as one of my opponents." A  familiar voice lamented. 

The rocks collided with a nearby tree, passing through it neatly and lodging deep into the ground. Hyunjin sat at the windowsill of one of the abandoned homes, his legs swinging back and forth as he played with a rock. 

"This little shit." Renjun clicked his tongue as he and Jaemin got back up.

"You're the little one here." Hyunjin shot back. "Speaking of little, you only have a couple more hours to live don't you?"

"Less taunting, more working. Felix said not to take too long. It's bad enough one of them is a water mage." Minho reminded.

"Hey Renjeon." Jaemin whispered.

"It's Renjun." The latter corrected.

"Think you can outdo Jeno as my partner?"

A/N

I swear when Ann is so scary. After she read the last chapter she was out for my blood 

getting a little bit of writer's block but is all good

still debating whether or not someone dies or not