Prologue

Lorelei’s P.O.V.

    I’m so excited for this performance! Of course, it’s not my first, but Bruce Wayne is here. THE Bruce Wayne. I’m getting a little ahead of myself. My name is Lorelei Marie Grayson, and my family and I are acrobats for Haly’s Circus. They call us the Flying Grayson’s because of the way we just fly through the air on the trapeze, and also for the angel winged birth marks on mine and Moms backs. I have a younger brother named Richard, but he prefers to be called Dick, and we’re very close. Our parents were surprised about how close we are, because of the age difference. You see, I’m 14 and Dick is 9. From the moment I first saw him I knew we’d be inseparable.

    “You ready for this Dick?” I asked as we made our way to the stand.

    “Born ready sis.” He replied. Our parents looked at us and smiled. They leaned in and embraced us into a hug.

    “We’re so proud of you two.” Mom said.

    “You two know the drill; your mother and I will go first, and the two of you will join us just like we practiced.” Dad stated.

    “We know Dad.” Dick and I said simultaneously, causing us to giggle. Suddenly, we heard Mr. Haly’s booming voice come through the microphone.

    “Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Haly’s Circus! Tonight we have a very special performance! Starting us off will be…The Flying Grayson’s!” The crowd roars to life as we wave. “John Grayson!” Mr. Haly continues as Dad waves. “Mary Grayson!” Mom waves. “Lorelei Grayson!” I stand beside Mom and wave. “And finally, the youngest of the Grayson family, Richard Grayson!” He waves and takes his place beside me.

    We watch as Mom and Dad take hold of the trapeze and start the routine. Dick and I watch them fly gracefully through the air, but something seems off; like something is going to go wrong any minute. I feel it in my gut.

    Dad takes hold of Moms ankles as she lets go of the trapeze. That’s when things started to go south. As they swing towards me and Dick, I see the trapeze start to come loose. Mom reaches out to us and that’s when it snaps. Moms smile falls as she knows what’s coming.

    “Dick. Lorelei.” She said as her and Dad began to fall. Dick and I watched in horror as they fell, knowing we can’t stop it. We fell to our knees crying and holding onto each other, afraid to let go. Our parents were gone. We were all each other had left. What were we going to do now? People tried to pull us away from the scene, but I refused to move. As someone tried to drag me away, I screamed. It wasn’t a normal scream though. It was high-pitched and sounded like it could carry on for miles. A few moments later, I blacked out.

    ‘What the hell what that?’