1. Gift from the stars

Read description from Table of Contents (1)

"A-a-and.. and I'll c-come one h-hour early-y for t-the m-mass on sunday.. a-and I'll w-write a new carol-l even i-if it's Joonie's t-turn and... and.." he hooked the thumbs of joint hands under the front teeth looking around the desolate room that his whiny voice resonated in.
"...and I-I don't h-have a-anything e-else. Just p-please-"

"TAEHYUNG-AH HURRY UP! MOM ASKED TO GET BACK BEFORE DINNER!" the voice from outside the church called again making him roll his eyes, a sour twitch of lips etched grave.

"G-gotta go! R-remember t-the n-name it's T-A-E- ae-H- Y-U-Nnn- jj-G. !"
He smiled and started walking backwards winking and making finger guns at the colossal cross extended across the width of the church.

Hearing his brother's call for the third time he jogged out to where he was leaning on his bike and indignantly tapped his foot on the pavement with a scowl so prominent it seemed someone rigged it with a shovel.

"S-sorry. We w-were having some n-n-n-n-" he felt a little nudge-y slap on the back of his head "negotiations. T-thanks."

Nodding wordlessly Namjoon picked up his bike and waited for Taehyung to do the same before paddling parallel down the street to their house. "You know, I don't wanna be a Debby downer and all, but I think this power from your star for a day is a baseless concept. When I become a scientist, I'm going to find a way to finish it off."

Taehyung snickered elevating himself to paddle with more force trying to catch with his sulky brother who in a sudden bout of rage had started barreling the poor bicycle fast enough to start flying.

"Y-you're j-just bitter b-because o-on y-your 17th you b-became invisible."

"Can you blame me? I was marked 'absent' for the test I pulled an all-nighter for and was present in! Not to mention how I'm not in the pictures of my own birthday dinner!"

Taehyung burst out laughing so jerkily that he almost collided with a lamp post, while Namjoon is squaring his shoulders and shaking head to wiggle off the horrid memory.

***********
"Tae, baby get up." A hand groomed through his hair gently before a little kiss on his head. "Happy Birthday, my sunshine."

"Mm.. f-five m-more minutes a-as a g-gift p-please." Burying his face back in the fluffy bedding he turned his back to his mother who pivoted him right back with a strength unmatched with her pliable voice.

"No you'll be late for school. Moreover, aren't you excited to find the gift from your star?" And the question mark of that sentence was followed by a striking exclamation from Taehyung who shot up from his bed in a second and stood affront his mother's startled face in half a moment.

"A-am I s-still  s-s-stuttering?"  The wide bug-eyed face fell like the dusking sun in a second when an obvious realisation came through. "Y-yes I a-am."

There was a prickle beneath his eyelids, something he didn't expect himself to be having first thing on the  day he had most looked forward to all his life. With heart crushed to shatters and a sullen face he looks up at the piteous face of his mother, the one she gives every time Taehyung has one of the meltdowns about his debilitation.

"It's okay baby. Think about what other power you must have right-"

"I D-DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY O-OTHER P-POWER!!" He looks up at the blatantly mundane ceiling in despair, a habit he developed with too much time in hand and too little (no) friends to spend it with. "EX-EXPECT M-ME LATE F-FOR THE S-SUNDAY MASS!!"

The woman chuckles and pats his head tenderly "Don't worry. Nobody cares about a stutter if you're a good human."

But Taehyung's ears stop to focus when his eyes catch the most baffling thing.