5. It's unfair

Read description from Table of Contents (1)

Hoping that the dusk arrives, for the dawn is a little too bright for me.

The clock reads 2 am. Dark outside the window, darker here in his room, the darkest inside his heart.

As the weight of his fiancé shuffles on his chest, the weight inside of his chest only deepens. More and more such that he feels he is being strangled by the arms that wrapped around him. The arms that are supposed to provide warmth— give burns; they always do, but tonight more than ever.

Water. He needs water. Maybe that is what will tone down the irreversible lacerations tearing from his throat to heart. Water.

Quietly unlocks the unyielding arms with a slight wince when he accidentally knocks his phone off the nightstand trying not to fumble in the bed too much. He quickly pockets the device into his sweats before tiptoeing out of the cursed room, but not before a lingering look at one last thing. The suit.

The suit that hung all pristine and immaculate as if it ever received the deference it deserved. Any other day, he would've laughed mockingly with a head shake; that's what he has done for the past three months since the date was decided by his fiancé.

But now that it's here, in a few hours, there's no laughter, not even a trace. However there's no sadness either. Jungkook is just... empty. Numb.

For a small while where only sounds were the sluggish gulps of the water he chugged, an interruption ensues by the buzz of his phone against his pocket. 2:10 am— he glances at the clock and frowns. Who could be calling at this hour?

Only within the time of his two second thought, the phone stops vibrating. Fishing it out while still sipping on the water, his frown engraves deeper when it's an unknown number.
A second later it's vibrating again, the same unknown number and he is only giving it a short glance in case it looks familiar but then stops ringing again in a second.

"Who the fuck?" He mumbles opening the logs to check but it then starts vibrating again and determined to not miss it this time, he answers immediately.
"Who is this?" It comes out so harsh that he bites his tongue immediately.

"Um... I.."

That's all the person on the other line needed to say for Jungkook's bottle to leave the grip of his now shivery hand and plunge on the floor, water distill out on the invaluable cypress hardwood flooring.

However, more devastated than the fate of the water was Jungkook, who felt the ground move beneath his clammy feet.

This voice. After six whole years, this voice. Six years ago the person owning this voice could merely sigh and Jungkook can within minutes write a thesis on what kind of day he had, he knew him like that.
Perhaps, he still can.

Because there was just one coherent word by that voice and Jungkook knew that the person.. the person.. was either very drunk or had cried... or both.

"T-taehyung?" He doesn't even know how his throat mustered a courage to let something out because sure as hell if he was numb before, he was deadened now.

"H-hi, uh.. I.. I'm s-sorry I'll just hang up..d-don't know what I w-was thinking-"

"No!" He white knuckled his grip on the kitchen slab. "D-don't.. hang u-up.. please." says back in an urgency and there's almost a sting of something behind his eyelids.

"Okay." Taehyung whispers back. His voice has changed over the years, sounding a little more despaired, a little more sombre. He just hopes it's because of aging, he knows it's not.
"I j-just... I uh.. heard you're g-getting married. W-wanted to know that i-if that's t-true? Uh..yeah."