7| sombre scrimmage

IT WAS A FUCKING DEADPOOL

IT WAS A FUCKING DEADPOOL. Juliette recalled cracking a joke at the possibility, and now here she was — staring at the actual hit list. After showing the list to the rest of the pack, they assumed there would be at least two other cipher keys that could unlock the rest of the lists. Lydia has been at the lake house all weekend attempting to break the code, but even when Juliette heightened her powers, they left with nothing. "A deadpool."

"A hit list of supernatural creatures." Juliette elaborated to the Sheriff, spreading the papers across the desk. "They got Demarco yesterday, we're still trying to figure out who was responsible for that."

Stiles nodded. "And they almost got you."

"I'm sorry, what?" Sheriff Stilinski exclaimed.

"It's not really..." Juliette swallowed the lump in her throat, lost at words. "Well, the girl that tried to kill me did it as a job, but i'm not so sure it's the benefactor that sent her. There's no number next to my name, as far as we know, so wouldn't that mean she was sent by someone else? It's not like it matters–"

Stiles cocked his head. "I don't know, i'd say someone trying to murder you matters."

    "Deaton said the Nemeton draws in supernaturals, right? So this would be the key place to creature a deadpool of supernaturals, this place is practically a haven for them—"  Juliette stopped at the remembrance that she was a part of them now, too. "us."

     Sheriff Stilinski leaned into the table. "Wait, wait— do you mean Beacon Hills, or Beacon County? Population of Becaon Hills is just under thirty thousand."

    "And dropping." Stiles mentioned.

    His father shot him a coaxing look before sitting on his chair, leaning back. "But if we're talking Beacon County then we're looking at about five hundred thousand. Look, how many werewolves, banshees, amplifiers— whatever, are there? And what happens if the next cipher key uncovers not twelve names, but a hundred?"

    "It can't be, there's a limit. We think that if we add up all the numbers besides the names, it would add up to a hundred and seventeen million." Juliette started scribbling K's and M's beside each number. "Exactly the amount stolen from the Hale vault, used to finance all these murders."

    "Someone who wants all the supernaturals in Beacon Hills dead."

    "There's one thing I don't get, how did the new assassin know that Demarco was going to deliver to the lakehouse?"

    "Everyone knows he delivers kegs to teenagers for a little extra cash. So whoever ordered it, killed Demarco."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

AS USUAL, JULIETTE took her seat by the far corner of the classroom beside Stiles. She gaped at the pictures of the marks on Demarco's neck, a hexagonal shape with a deep cut in the middle. She hid the pictures behind her Economics textbook, sliding the book to Stiles' desk when she couldn't figure out a clue. "I texted Argent the pictures, he's never seen a weapon leave a mark like that either."