3.5 Who's Gonna Tell

Quite honestly, Brooke hasn't expected anything but the divorce law tome out of this library trip, but sometimes the world just seems to want to give you a little gift in the most karmic fashion. If anything, she would've missed this wonderful bounty of blackmail if it hadn't been for her earlier request to Jules to keep an eye on that scumbag's movements.

[ Host, Zhang Guo is within a close distance. You might want to look out the east window. ]

That little prompt had been the most convenient bringing about of the current situation at hand. In fact, it fixed a lot of problems that could've come about. Lihua wouldn't have to waste time explaining to Liling why she knew their father was a cheater, because now they both knew. She also wouldn't have to waste time gathering evidence or orchestrating a situation for their mother to find out about the whole ordeal. Two birds with one giant stone.

The silence in the library felt more suffocating than it was peaceful now. Standing next to each other in a strange stillness, neither sister said a word. The older one looked at her younger sister in disbelief. Well, she looked more at her cellphone than at her while the younger looked down at the street her father and those two unknown women had disappeared from.

No one knew how to start up a conversation now.

Eventually, Liling opened her mouth, her voice barely above a whisper.

"How are we going to tell mom?" You could hear her little voice cracking as the hand holding her phone trembled.

For a long time, Lihua said nothing. She just slowly took her sister into her embrace before saying something only audible to the two of them.

"We've found a scum man to escape from. Let's just put it like that."

Lihua probably would've broken out laughing if it wouldn't have broken character.

The two broke apart and gave each other a look of understanding before going off to find 'Guide To Divorce Laws' with a renewed vigor. Finding the book was easy. After seeing how thick it was, both quickly realized they'd struggle in carrying it down the library stairs. The behemoth of a book had more thickness to it than both girl's arms even without the bulky hardcover protecting those old book smelling pages. Even taking it off of the shelf had been an ordeal.

Getting the damn thing onto the floor without it making a large thump already left the two of them panting. Carrying it down the stairs would probably send Liling right back into the hospital and no one wanted that. Finally deciding this couldn't be a two person job, Lihua asked Liling to stay put and rest as she went to go get Qin Yuhuan.

When Lihua was out of earshot Liling laid herself on the carpeted library floor and took deep breaths into her deprived lungs. Brooke had quickly come to learn something the hard way about Liling's body.

WAY. TOO. WEAK. She had almost fainted just from moving this heavy ass book! If a book could send her into unconsciousness what the fuck could kill her?!

"Jules."

[ Yes, Host? ]

"Remind me to fucking kill whoever effected Liling's body this much because I'm suffering for it."

[ Will do, Host! Would you like to purchase some health improvement pills? ]

Desperately so. But if Liling suddenly got incredibly healthy, that would be way too suspicious. Maybe some pills to boost her immune system, but nothing too extreme to bring attention to herself.

"Got anything that works slowly?"

[ I'll take a look! Please be patient! ]

Brooke was tempted to ask when she hadn't been patient with her System but decided against it. After all, they might not actually remember something so far back.

While Brooke waited in relative quiet for Jules' results, Lihua had returned with Qin Yuhuan and their chauffeur in tow.

"Liling, get off the floor this instant! It's dirty. Who knows what germs you could get into your system!" Qin Yuhuan was hauling Liling onto her feet with a speed not thought possible by a woman her age and brushing her daughter off with frantic movements. "Don't forget that you just left the hospital. You wouldn't want to go back right away, right?"

As Qin Yuhuan fussed over her youngest, their chauffeur had easily picked up the heavy tome that had been left on the floor. It was rather surprising considering their chauffeur's elderly age. He looked to be around 70, but Liling had never asked so she didn't actually know. All she knew was that he was referred to by his last name, Yao.

"Will this be all, Miss?" Yao's voice was gruff but held a natural warmth to it, the type of voice that a grandfather who had smoked for a while might have.

"Yes, Yao. Thank you so much. Please take the book to the car after it's been checked out, alright?" Lihua was quick to take a library card out of her purse and hand it to the older man when she saw Liling was still catching her breath and Qin Yuhuan was still busy scolding her.

Yao nodded and left the three women to their own devices. When he curiously looked down and saw the title of the book, his silver brows furrowed.

"Mom, I get it. I won't lay on the floor anymore." With air finally back into her lungs, Liling began to reassure her mother but was speedily cut off.

"As soon as we get home you're taking a bath and we're having everything cleaned!"

"But-"

"No buts!"

Liling decided quickly that this wasn't a battle she would be able to win and so she turned her head to Lihua, puppy dog eyes on max. But deep inside her heart she knew.

She knew that her sister wouldn't be able to stop the momma bear now that it had been released.

Liling had something more to dread than meeting this body's father now.

[ Hi, peeps! Happy Spooky Month! I know this series is moving stupid slow but I'd prefer slow over immobile so 👍 ]