Oblivion

"I do, Lucas. I do too"

A-Aria? Nothing could express my joy at the moment, I felt a weight lift off my heart as I heard that sweet voice I had preserved within me for all these years. I turned to face her, the one I'd foolishly yes, but avoided all these years not because I wanted to, but because I was scared. What if the same happened with her as with...
My mind went blank for a moment. No. I couldn't let the same thing happen to her...EVER

....................................

"ROLL 12, Miss Parker can you please respond!"

"Huh? Oh, yes, present!", I said, raising my voice. I wasn't really paying attention and it seemed like I'd made a bad impression on the first day itself. I sighed. Looking around I caught a pair of eyes staring at me, as soon as our eyes met, he winked and turned around as if nothing had happened. I could suddenly feel every beat of my heart as a shiver ran down my spine. I tried suppressing my giggle, because I was surrounded by all my friends and they were yet to know of today's early morning adventure.

"Why are you blushing?"

"Huh? What? Where? When? Why? No no no, you're wrong I'm not blushing, it's the heat. It's unbearable. Hehe."

"Oh ok", a not so satisfied Brittany turned away from me and started chatting with the others.

I immediately patted my face to stop the reddening. I wasn't wrong, the heat was in fact too much, unusual from the sun we were used to in the city.

Today's task was to learn how to plant saplings in the paddy field, which, I was excited to learn because I've seen videos of it before, however I don't think it's going to be an easy job in this extreme heat.

We wore our gloves and huge boots that reached upto our knees, as we stepped into the slushy fields. We got tiny saplings in a packet which each of us received. We all had to complete sowing one row at least, and according to my guesses, each row was at least 5 metres long. We were told to keep a minimum of one hand space between each sapling, so planting so many was definitely a hard job. The sun, especially wasn't helping any way.

After almost an hour, my legs started shivering as the scorching sun sucked up all of our energy. I could see people drooping on the ground beside me, some complaining, and some giving up. The leeches, were the least of the problems, the crows had apparently decided it would be fun to shower us with their natural service.

Occasionally Adrien's grandma would give us glucose drinks in a cup, that was about the size of a medium Starbucks container, which we gulped down within minutes. I was about to finish, only ten more saplings to go and I was feeling pretty proud of myself. I felt bad thinking about the farmers who had to plow the field, and water and sow and reap the entire field all year. Now that I was doing it myself, that too one row, it seemed an impossible job.

Adrien was the first to finish among us, naturally, and I finished soon after. I opened my gloves hastily to find my hands dripping in sweat. I left my boots by the side of a barn and went to sit under the shade of a tree on top of a small hill. The shade provided a heavenly coolness as the wind brushed against the leaves making a pleasant ruffling noise. I closed my eyes and felt the wind on my face, so relaxing and calm, compared to the time I almost died. I looked back at the field where some were still busy planting, including him. Lucas. What luck was it to have reunited with my first love once again, after deliberately trying to avoid him for years. Was it fate? Or perhaps destiny that led us back to each other? I would never forget that letter, the one that he left for me, before he left.

"It was a mistake", it read, "I couldn't possibly look at a commoner like you. Sincerely do not wait for me, because by the time you read this, I shall be far away. You couldn't possibly expect me to love you. My apologies for wasting your precious time, I hope you can move on.".

I shrugged remembering those words. Mistake it read, in bold. But I couldn't stop thinking about him. Even if it was a mistake between us, it was probably the best mistake I had ever fallen in. I couldn't just accept that all of it was fake. Today when I heard his confession, he didn't seem as distant, he seemed... indifferent to the words written in that letter. And honestly, I wouldn't mind falling into that same trap once again, as long as I am with him. It's true we hadn't spent much time getting to know each other, but I had thought of him each and every day, like a memory I couldn't forget. A memory that had been rooted into my mind and soul. Like he was, a lost part of me that I had discovered by sheer luck. I loved him, and always would because he was the one who pulled me out of the dark abyss that I was in, and showed me light. He was and is my brightest star in the darkest of nights, and I wasn't going to let go of him any soon.

My thoughts were interrupted when I caught a glance of him staring at me. He was smiling, not a mischievous or grin, but a perfect smile portraying his perfect front teeth. I smiled back, and he winked immediately. I turned my face away, feeling flustered. I couldn't feel my heart as all this was new to me. I felt myself overflowing with happiness whenever he was around. I had always been a single child whom everyone loved, but I couldn't share things with anyone and I felt that I always had to live upto people's expectations and maintain my perfect image in front of everyone. But with him, I felt free, I felt like he was someone, who brought out the real me. At times he was a brother to me, and at times a good best friend, a bully that I never knew I needed, and definitely not perfect. But then again, love is to love an imperfect person perfectly, and I did love him. All his imperfections made him, him and I loved him. His good and his bad, his perfections and imperfections, his outside and inside...I loved him.