Prologue

Eight years ago...

Snowstorm never liked this. Why was he even doing this? He honestly didn't care that he was in the First Circle right now, he didn't want to kill a penguin! He was too soft to even have the guts to do that! But he did it anyway.

I just want Mother and Father to be impressed with me, he sighed, I just want them to actually love me and remember that I REALLY DO EXIST in this world. It's always either my siblings or one of my cousins that I've actually never seen before that have all the attention.

He was only five and he was already in one of the highest rankings, fourth place in the First Circle. He always wore his necklace to show them his accomplishment, but they never seemed to care. Their attention was on the first place IceWing, his cousin Hailstorm, whom he has never had a good look at.

Though Snowstorm was told he should be grateful for not being last place in the Seventh Circle like his other cousin, Winter, whom he has also never had a proper look at. But Snowstorm didn't care what place he was on the rankings, until he moved up.

"What do you mean I'm third place?" He said to his smug father. "I don't even see myself as a qualified IceWing to be in third place! What even happened to one of the other three IceWings ahead of me?"

"Prince Hailstorm has been captured by SkyWings, so I've decided that he is not qualified to be in the rankings anymore," Queen Glacier said instead. "We think he will not return, but we will send soldiers to Queen Scarlet's palace and demand she release him and bring him back to the Ice Kingdom. But in the meantime, he will be dead last in the Seventh Circle while you will be in third place, is that understood?"

"But-" Snowstorm protested.

"Is that understood?" Glacier pressed harder with a cold look on her face.

Snowstorm ducked his head low and sighed, slowly backing away as he answered solemnly, "Yes, Mother."

He heard his father snigger beside the queen and Snowstorm whirled around to look at him angrily, but his father shot him a dirty glare and made a face that said, don't even try.

Snowstorm casted one more angry scowl and turned away just as quickly as he faced him. The IceWing prince stormed out of the throne room as the icy gates slammed vigorously shut behind him.

Why is life so unfair all the time? Snowstorm thought with annoyance. I'm in third place, FINE. But why does my mother just get to demand everything and does things however SHE wants? Doesn't she even care for me? For any one of us too? Why can't I just have at least one friend to talk to about all my problems with-?

"W-whoooaaaaa!" He yelped, tripping over something thick and bulky on the floor. Within a second, he face planted right on the frost ground like a pathetic dragon. His face was buried in the snow and the spikes along his back straightened furiously.

Argh, I bet it was those two tricksters, he growled. And he was right; he lifted his head dizzily and looked directly in front of him. There stood his two conniving sisters, who had apparently placed a block of ice in his way, which made him trip in the first place.

"Oh, of course it's you," he hissed to his two sisters, who both have wide grins on their face and looked like they were about to burst out laughing their heads off. "What a lame trick you pull off."

"What a lame dragon to fall for it," Opal cackled. "Literally,"

Snowstorm grunted with a frown while he stood up to scold his sisters. He was only a little taller than the both of them, but from his point of view, little isn't always good when it comes to his troublemaking sisters who would never get caught. They would always find a way to frame him and get him in trouble instead.