Chapter 2

Sure, he could conjure up some food in 2 minutes, but he liked cooking for Alec. It meant that he cared and he put in the effort. And Magnus Bane was all for effort. "Jace. It's never going to work." Clary warned as the two of them walked out into the cool Brooklyn streets. They had been arguing about this for a while.

"We need it to work. This is the only way I see this working out." Jace whispered angrily. Clary rolled her eyes. Jace tended to exaggerate everything he said. "Clary, if I can go to that vamp den, there maybe a chance that we can find that necklace." Jace knew that Imogen was his grandmother. Though their relationship has been rocky, he wanted to fix that.

He wanted to make things better. Recently, the clave had lost an artifact, an emerald stone necklace that could kill vampires. It was an artifact created to control the vampires back in the day when they drained innocent lives. Imogen was supposed to keep it safe, but she ended up getting caught in the middle of an attack and lost it to a clan of vampires.

The necklace wasn't really a big or expensive artifact but the criticism his grandmother received for losing it was harsh. This was an opportunity for Jace to show Imogen that he could be as useful as his ancestors. By getting the necklace, he could finally prove that he was fully worthy of recognition. "But you asked Alec to approve the mission. And Alec clearly said no."

Jace stopped abruptly and smiled at her. "That's why we're asking Magnus. Don't worry, I have a plan." Jace smiled cockily as he leaned down to kiss Clary. Clary dodged it angrily and started walking quickly. Jace laughs as he runs behind her. Are you sure you want to do this?"

Clary the voice of reason asked. Jace nods. "Alec denied the mission because the clan was too dangerous. Besides, the jewel wasn't that valued anyway. It doesn't matter." Clary tried to say.