The First Phase

While taking a nap on top of Gon's head, I heard shouting. I jumped up, scared by the sudden noise. I glared at Leorio, Gon's friend who was... stupidly tall. Apparently someone wasn't running and he was pissed about it. I laughed inwardly at the irony. Here I am, being a lazy cat like always, and he's yelling at someone else who is also NOT. RUNNING. Love that~

I looked around to see who he was yelling at, and found the boy who had laughed at Tonpa earlier. Gon started defending him by saying that he had never specified that it was an endurance test, and that we just had to keep up with him. This seemed to catch the boy's attention and he slowed down to speak to Gon.

They talked and I watched the boy with interest. He seemed interesting enough. After a moment, I hopped off of Gon's head and returned into my human form, scaring everyone. "Y/n! Where did you come from!?!" I grinned and pointed at his hair. He looked really confused.

I then transformed quickly between a small house cat, a tiger, and into a half cat-half human form and giggled, all while still running. Everyone stared at me. I then sped up and ran up the wall, flipping in the air, and transforming into a kitten again just as I landed on Gon's head again. A smile grew on the boy's face.

"I think I'll run for a while." He said, flipping his skateboard and running next to us. "I'm Killua, by the way." I gave a soft meow and hopped onto his head. My paws were blessed by the fluffiness of his hair. I mewed happily and curled up into a small ball. I heard Killua start to laugh and I felt my face heat up, making me grateful that I wasn't human at the moment.

A while later, Killua and Gon decided that they were going to race to the top of the stairs. They ended up arriving simultaneously, scaring me with their loud cheers, making me jump down and get trampled by the others who were arriving. I hurried to get back to Gon and Killua, only arriving once I was battered and bruised. I groaned, changing back to human.

I was sprawled out on the ground, surrounded by two boys who were giggling at me. "Thanks a lot." I hissed, only making them laugh harder. After calming down, Killua held out a hand.

"You okay, Kitten?" My ears perked up at the nickname. I grabbed him hand, feeling the blush spread across my face.That was... cute..? I dusted off my pants and ran my fingers through a small knot in my hair.

"Yeah, no thanks to you guys." I sighed, my voice reaching it's peak squeakiness, which sounded like a five year old on helium. He laughed at my messy appearance.

"You sound six, but you look like a short fourteen year old! So weird!" I glared at him. "What? It's a compliment... yeah..." I sighed again and stalked over to Gon. I walked in a small circle around him, carefully examining him.

"Okay, I've decided." Gon stared at me, confused. "You are an adorable child that has not wronged me, and I am spiritually adopting you. You are my son now. You cannot escape it." After a moment of silence as I caressed my new son's arm, Gon smiled.

"Okay! That sounds fun!" Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio just stared at us.

"Y'know how often if an animal loses their children they will take in babies who don't have a mother? It's kinda like that, in the least physical way possible. I will act as a mother to him." My tail swung back and forth as a cat-like smile spread across my face. "My son~" I whispered, reassuring myself that I was now connected to Gon in my way of creating a new family for myself.

However, turns out we weren't through the first phase yet. We continued to run through the swindler's swamp, and I eventually split off with Gon and Killua. At one point I got seperated from both of them and started to panic.

"Killua?!? Gon!?! Where did you two go!" My ear twitched as I heard something step softly in the brush next to me. A split second later, a large creature attacked me. I reflexively turned into a tiger and slashed it's throat. Once it was dead, I realized it was a person who had thought attacking me would be a good idea. Dumbass. Never attack a frightened cat. They will attack back.

"Y/n? Gon?" I heard Killua's voice. I immediately ran to where the voice came from. Moments later, I was on the ground, my arms wrapped around Killua. "Ack! Y/n!"

"That was terrifying! I thought I had lost you two!" I looked up to see a small blush on his face. "Have you seen Gon? I hoped you two would be together..."

"Get off!" He grumbled, pushing me up and off of him. He sat up and glanced around. "No, I haven't seen him. I was hoping that he was with you, actually. And... why did you hug me?" His voice was quieter now.

"Because. I was worried about you too, y'know!" I turned into a house cat and walked semi-circles around him. After another moment he picked me up and started running.

~Later~

"GON!" I jumped off of Killua, transforming and running to my new son, pulling him into a tight hug. "Thank god you're okay! You scared me there for a second!" When I finally felt like letting him go, I wrapped my tail securely around his wrist, making sure I didn't lose him again.

We were now at a large gate, which appeared to be the entrance to where we would take the second portion of the exam. With Gon and Killua next to me, I felt sure that we would all pass. I just had to hope that I was right.

End of Chapter.