Chapter 16

"Sissy, look!"

The shout from Wander made Sylvia look at where her younger adoptive brother was pointed and saw somebody standing a little far away from where she stood. Sylvia looked around and found a stick lying on the ground. Not the perfect weapon, but it would do.

"Hey, are you friendly?" Sylvia asked.

"Are you?" The person who Sylvia could now determine was male repeated her question.

"As long as you don't hurt my brother," Sylvia answered.

Sylvia started to get closer and from where she was standing, he looked shorter than Sylvia. She also had white skin, the little bit of black hair that she could see, and everything he wore was black, including the helmet with a tall lightning rod on his helmet. When she got even closer, she realized that his left eye was covered up by an eye patch.

"Booboo!" Wander looked over Sylvia's right shoulder.

The guy tilted his head before he realized that the baby was talking about his eye. "Oh, that? Don't worry, it's not new. I was born without my left eye."

"How old are you anyway?" Sylvia asked.

"I am 17-years-old." The guy answered.

Sylvia wanted to brag a little that she was three years older than the teen, but she decided not to. "What's your name kid?"

"Peepers." The teen now known as Peepers answered.

Sylvia walked past him and Peepers followed after her. Peepers watched as Wander waved at him and he waved back. Wander was just happy to have a new talking buddy now.

"Are your parents close to where we're going?" Sylvia asked.

"My...My..." Sylvia realized she was talking about a touchy subject.

"Sorry, sorry, so where's your guardian?" Sylvia asked a hopefully new question that wouldn't make Peepers upset.

"If you would kinda consider my boss," Peepers responded.

"Who's your boss then?" Sylvia asked as she walked down the slope that led to the swamp before reaching THE BOOK AND CLUB.

"Lord Hater."