six

When I woke up for school the next morning, I had the strangest feeling that I couldn't really describe. I felt like something was going to happen and that someone was going to get hurt but at the same time, I felt relaxed and collected – as if I already knew the problem was going to be resolved. I went on with my morning, getting dressed, being ridiculed by my grandmother and trying to block out the thoughts of my parent's accident all before I had even gotten dressed for school.

Aisha was waiting outside at exactly 7:10 when it was time for us to leave. It was darker out that morning than it usually was and it only added to the strange feeling I woke up with. The wind picked up and slowed down as we walked. I noticed it because it went wild for a moment and then settled to almost nothing when we climbed the steps of Angel Grove High. Just as we walked through the main doors, I heard a noise that I remembered from the other night when I was waiting with Kimberly and Aisha. I looked around and just as I was about to say something to Aisha, I realized she had disappeared without saying anything to me.

I shrugged it off and walked to my locker, hoping to see Adam but he wasn't there when I failed to open my locker. I stood there struggling to get it open and gave up after a few tries. I just hoped Mr. Henderson would understand why I didn't have my materials. But something was drawing me to linger at my locker until after the bell rang – so that's exactly what I did. As I stood there, I felt a wave of adrenaline rush through my veins and the little hairs on my arms raised. Then I felt like someone was in danger and that I needed to help them and without even thinking about it, I found myself running out the main doors and darting down the street.

I stopped when I felt something burning hot in my pocket. I looked around as I pulled out the dinosaur coin out of my pocket. I had left it at home again – how did it end up here with me again? I watched as the coin sat in the palm of my hand and then melt into a silver liquid that started growing around my skin, but it didn't hurt. I looked around as it was happened because if someone saw, they had to have been staring. It was the weirdest thing I had ever seen in my life.

It crawled up my skin – covering my clothes and that it started slithering up my neck and before I knew it, I was in a completely different wardrobe than I had dressed in this morning. I was now wearing a silver and white loose-fitting suit, with boots that held the fabric tightly around my ankles, and arm cuffs that did the same. Then I realized a mask had been placed over my face with eyeholes cut out and a headband holding it all together. I looked at my hands, seeing the gloves and then I felt another wave of adrenaline as I felt the urge to run directly into danger.

The thing was, I didn't know where the danger was. At least I thought I didn't... My body suddenly felt like static and then all I saw as a streak of white light as I shot right into the sky and found myself landing on my feet in the middle of place I didn't recognize. That's when I heard the sounds of struggling and then saw putties, surrounding six others who were fighting against them. The first thing that popped into my mind, was when Adam told me the Power Rangers fought them. When I looked closer, I realized I was dressed the exact same way they were – did this mean I was a Power Ranger?

That was a question for later because I saw one of those six, the one in black and white, getting his butt kicked by those putties. The others were too busy fighting off groups of them to notice he was being ambushed, so I sprang into action to help him. Without a thought about it, I found myself springing off the ground, doing a flip in the air, and kicked the one that was about to grab the person from behind. I landed on my side and then kicked off the ground, swung my leg underneath me and knocked two of those putties down.

The person I was helping, spun around more confused than ever – and I didn't have to see his facial expression to know that. I back flipped away from him – something I normally wouldn't be able to do and kicked another putty right in the chest. Another one jumped at me and I punched it away, watching it fall to the ground and then disintegrate into nothing as if they had never been there. When I looked around, I realized that all of the putties had disappeared but now standing in their place was a monster, yes... a monster. It was dark purple with tentacles and coral peeking out the sides of its face. It had one giant eyeball and the a green ooze that slimed out of its mouth as it talked.