thirty five

I was honestly surprised when my grandmother and Ms. Maria stayed talking well into the morning. Adam and I tried to sneak off once but my grandmother was paying close attention to us, so we both just sat in the living room with them. Partially listening to them talk and partially listening to the television. I was honestly paying attention to either of them because I was trying to figure out why there had been part of a Zeo Crystal in my house this whole time and why it wasn't calling out to me. Why did it all of a sudden call out to Adam? I didn't understand it.

I decided to get up from my seat on the couch next to Adam and go into the kitchen. I pretended that I was going to get a glass of water but I figured while my grandmother was distracted, I could swipe and hide the crystal to give it to Adam later. But, when I went to reach to grab it... the strangest thing happened and a lot of strange things seemed to be happening lately. Just as I wrapped my hand around the crystal, it literally zapped my hand away. Like, I saw the little burst of lightning surge through it and extend out of it – zapping my hand. It actually burnt my hand from what I could see when I yanked my hand back. I might have squealed but I didn't realize I had until Adam came in there to check on me.

"Did you just, scream?" he wondered.

"Kind of... Watch this." I told him as I reached my hand back out to the Crystal, attempting to grab it again – but the same reaction happened and now my hand honestly hurt even more.

"What was that?" Adam looked at me and the Crystal, confused with both.

"I don't know." I reached for it a third time but Adam grabbed my hand before I could touch it again.

"Don't touch it anymore! It's obviously hurting you." He looked at my hand.

"I'm fine. It just kind of stings a little." I looked at my hand in his.

"You should probably bandage it up. It doesn't look like it stings just a little." He carefully touched it with his other hand.

"This thing doesn't like me." I muttered, letting my hands fall to the side.

Just as Adam was about to say something back to me, our grandmothers came it the room and we stopped our conversation for a few minutes to see what they wanted. My grandmother had told us that they were going to the store to pick up some things they both needed for the house. It was really awkward seeing them both getting along and it made me sick to my stomach knowing that my grandmother was faking the whole thing. Normally, I probably would have gone alone... just because I don't trust anything that my grandmother will say and do but right now Adam and I needed to figure out this Crystal, and this gave us the perfect opportunity to do so.

We were both like dogs, sitting in the window watching them take their time backing out of the driveway. I could have sworn Adam even licked the window. Joking, just joking... As soon as they were out of sight, we darted right back to the kitchen and the Crystal was glowing again according to Adam. He explained it as neon green, but I couldn't see anything. It looked like a shard of glass to me and I could see right through it.

"Please be careful!" I warned Adam as he started to reach for it.

I watched (and I swear it was in slow motion) as Adam reached his hand out to the Crystal. I was confused when it had the complete opposite effect on him then it did to me. It had literally burnt my hand when I tried to grab it, but when Adam's fingers locked around it a blast of bright green light whipped through the air, causing both of us to stumble back and I swear I saw a green static shoot through Adam. It reminded me of when I first got my powers.

"Are you okay?" I ran over Adam to make sure he was okay as he looked over the Crystal in his hands.

"I'm okay. Promise." He told me, "Wow – that..."