thirty four

When I started getting ready for school the following morning, I was greeted with the news that school had been canceled again. She mentioned something about the power being out again. That was fine with me, but that meant I wouldn't be seeing Adam or any of the others today and that bummed me out. At least that's what I thought until my grandmother told me she was taking the day off work because she wanted to try and make amends with me. She even had already called Ms. Maria and invited her and Adam over for breakfast.

What surprised me even more was that they agreed to come over. Which, I shouldn't really be surprised because I knew what they were up too. I also knew what my grandmother was up too. This was to avoid the heat all being on her right now. With the police so recently involved, she was going to keep things on the lowkey right now instead of doing what she normally would do.

So, I continued getting ready like I normally would and helped make sure the house was still as spotless as it always was. Things were awkward at first, but my grandmother struck up a conversation with me as she asked me some questions about myself as she scanned the kitchen trying to decide what to cook for breakfast for all of us. It's pretty sad that she had to ask me questions just to get to know me but that's what happens when you're estranged from each other. She wasn't being rude to me though, so I wasn't being rude to her. At least for now.

"So, Danielle... What is your middle name?" My grandmother asked. She didn't even know my middle name... are you kidding me?

"Ann." I cleared my throat as I set the table with four plates, four cups, and four sets of silverware, "What's yours?"

"Leona. Beatrice Leona Hale." She told me, "Your grandfather's name was Clark Tobias Hale, in case you ever wondered."

"What happened to him?" I wondered.

"He passed when you were probably about 6. Cancer. It's a shame you didn't get to know him – I'm sure you would have loved him. He would have spoiled you rotten." She explained.

"I really didn't get to know either grandparents on either side of my family. My mother's parents both passed away when I was a baby." I told her.

"I regret pushing my son away... not being able to watch you grow up." She moved around the kitchen setting things out neatly on the counter.

"Why did you push him away?" I wondered.

"I don't think you want to know the answer to that dear. Waffles or pancakes?" she muttered.

"Waffles. I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know." I watched.

"That's a story for another time.  This Adam boy... you like him a lot?" she continued asking me questions.

"Yeah, I do." I cleared my throat, wondering what she was going to say about him because I already knew she didn't like him. She didn't even need to pretend like she did because she already made it obvious that she doesn't.

"Listen, I know we haven't exactly gotten along but I would like to start on a fresh slate here. Can we do that?" my grandmother asked, "If you're going to live here then we have to at least tolerate each other."

She was funny. I wanted to laugh right in her face. There was no way that I was ever going to forgive her for what she had done to me. I couldn't just start off on a fresh slate with someone who has physically and emotionally abused me ever since I had moved in with them. There was just no way. But, I knew I had to just play around until things were all figured out and I had proof of what she had been doing to me.

"Sure." I muttered just as the doorbell rang. I was slightly relieved because I knew it was Adam and Ms. Maria. "Can I get the door?"

"Of course! Go get our guests and bring them to the table." She said as she turned the stove on and started actually cooking the food. From what I gathered, we were having bacon, eggs, and waffles.