twenty five

I laid down on Adam's bed, hiding me face right in one of the several pillows he had on his bed. I felt a dip in the mattress next to me and I knew it was Adam because he had followed me into his room after I asked if we could just lay down. My head was hurting and I was still nervous from what I needed to talk to his grandmother about. After lying in the same position for a little while, I finally rolled onto my side – facing Adam. His eyes were closed but I knew he was awake because he was rubbing my arm with his hand.

"I asked Kimberly if I could stay at her place for a few days until I can find somewhere permanent to stay." I told him.

"You can always stay here." He told me, opening his eyes to look down at me.

"Yeah, I know that... but I'm assuming you told your grandmother we were dating, and I really doubt she'll think it's a good idea for us to be staying underneath the same roof." I reminded him.

"I actually haven't told her yet." Adam said.

"Oh?" I muttered.

"I didn't exactly get the chance too because other things happened, and we spent our time worrying and looking for you. It was actually my grandmother who forced yours to call the police and report you missing, you know..." Adam told me.

"That doesn't surprise me." I sighed. I knew better to say anything further than that because Adam would just try and convince me otherwise.

"I'm so sorry she treats you this way." He sighed back.

"Yeah, well I haven't made things easy for her either." I muttered underneath my breath.

"Danielle, you absolutely did nothing wrong for her to treat you the way she does. Yes, you've gotten in trouble. You've gotten suspended, you've gotten detention... you've even run away, but that does not give her the right to abuse you in any way, shape, or form. You're a teenage for crying out loud – you're supposed to get in trouble!" Adam sat up and looked down at me.

"I killed her son, Adam. That is enough for her to do whatever she wants to me." I sat up with him and shook my head right back.

"What's your middle name?" Adam asked. What did he need to know that for and during this conversation we were having?

"Ann. Why does that even matter right now?" I questioned.

"Danielle Ann Hale, you did NOT kill her son. You were not the driver of the other vehicle that caused the accident. You were not intoxicated behind a wheel while illegally driving it. I will always stress that to you even if you never believe me. I understand that they were on their way to come and pick you up and you feel like it was your fault, but you were not the driver. You couldn't have known that was going to happen, Danielle." Adam watched me. "I lost my parents too you know... so I know how those feelings can get but you can't always feel sorry for yourself especially when you had no control over what could have happened. You should just be happy that you've at least had the chance to meet them. Some people aren't that lucky."

"Adam – I didn't mean it like that." I looked back at him.

"I know you did, but you can't always feel sorry for yourself about it because it wasn't your fault." He sighed, "I will always stress that to you."

"It's just hard to think otherwise..." I looked down.

"I'm sure it is." He agreed. "But despite all of this, it still doesn't give your grandmother the right to put her hands on you. You've done nothing to her, and she is just a cruel person. Things are going to get better for you. You're doing the right thing here."

"Why does it have to hurt so bad though?" I asked.

"I don't know. But you're not dealing with it alone. You have me. You have Rocky, Aisha, Tommy, Billy, and even Kimberly." He still watched me.