thirty one

We pretty much hung out at the Youth Center for the rest of the day. Most of us practiced our auditions, while I just sat to the side bummed out and watching them. I watched Kimberly as she gracefully flipped over into the splits, and Aisha read over lyrics on a piece of paper. Tommy and Rocky spared, practicing their martial arts moves, and Billy looked like he was plugging wires into something. Adam, I wasn't quite sure where he had gone off too but it looked like he had gone behind the stage and I hadn't seen him come back out.

I sighed as I got up from my seat and started to head towards the main doors. I wanted to get a moment of fresh air and kind of clear my head because a lot was starting to bother me just from thinking about how I couldn't even audition anymore. Playing the violin was something I loved doing... it was something that my parents loved listening too. If they were here, they would be encouraging me right now to just have fun and not worry about anything else.

I couldn't help but tear up when I stepped outside. It hurt a lot thinking about them. I just really missed them and more so right now then ever. I sat down on an empty bench just outside the doors and looked down at the leaves on the ground. They were different shades of red, orange, and yellow. They were pretty and slightly distracting.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone sit down next to me. I honestly had expected it to be Adam checking on me because he seemed to be good at it but I was surprised that it was Tommy. We hadn't really talked much to each other outside of anything we did as rangers, so I was a little thrown off that he was joining me on the bench. I looked over at him, curious to what he wanted.

"What's wrong Danielle?" Tommy asked.

"Nothing, just a little bummed that I can't audition for the talent show anymore." I sighed, telling him the truth.

"Why can't you?" Tommy wondered.

"To make a long story short, me and my grandmother had a falling out. Most of my belongings are at her house still and one of them is my violin. Without that, I can't audition." I shrugged, "It's okay though. I'm still excited to watch all of you guys perform."

"Why can't you just go and get it?" Tommy asked.

"That wouldn't be a good idea." I told him.

"Well why not?" He didn't know what was going on. Only Adam and Rocky did and I honestly could not find the words to tell him... not right now anyways. I was trying to keep it as private as I could until the police were finally involved.

"It's a long story that I don't really want to get into right now." I shook my head, bringing my focus back to the leaves that were on the ground.

"Is there anything else you could audition with?" he asked.

"No. The only thing I really knew how to do was play the violin." I told him.

"Maybe there is something Ms. Maria could do to help. She is a music teacher after all so I'm sure that she has to have some instruments around here." Tommy suggested.

"Yeah, I guess so. Maybe I'm just not in the spirit of it anymore." I shrugged.

"I feel like Adam would argue with you about this. Should I argue with you about it?" Tommy asked.

"No." I chuckled, slightly shaking my head, "Adam would definitely convince me to still do it."

"You really like him, don't you?" Tommy asked.

"I do, yeah." I nodded, "Why he likes me... is beyond me."

"We've never really seen Adam fall for someone like he has you. He's usually pretty shy but then you came along and all of a sudden he became head over heels for you." He told me.