thirty two

Monday morning when I arrived at school, I knew it was already going to be a bad day. The first piece of bad news was when Adam told all of us that the talent show was going to be post-poned for at least a month because the Youth Center had to undergo some repairs on the stage before we would be able to perform on it. We all understood that, but it was still a bit of a bummer.

I was trying not to let that ruin my day though. But my head was elsewhere and that didn't help. It all started when Bulk and Skull approached me before I even walked into the school. I ignored them and tried to just walk into the school but Bulk grabbed my arm and stopped me from walking in. I turned around and jerked my arm away from him so fast, warning him that the next time he touched me he wasn't going to like it. All he had to say to me was that this was a warning that something was coming. I still wasn't nor would I ever be afraid of them. They were all talk and no bark. Please – glue? That was the best they could do and it was really harmful.

I muttered something back to them and then headed into the school. I found Adam at our lockers with Billy and then he told me the news about the talent show. Still, I tried not to let it get to me. Adam knew something was wrong when we sat in Mr. Henderson's class and he attempted to pass notes again. We really needed to stop doing that because we were just going to get in trouble again, but I guess it was worth it because Adam was my favorite person to talk too. So, I guess I didn't mind it.

Want to go to the sketchy treehouse tonight?

I grabbed my pen and scribble back my message, carefully paying attention to Mr. Henderson.

As long as we bring a blanket. It's way too cold out today.

I folded it back, passed it to Adam and waited for him to answer.

Of course ;)

I smiled and then wrote something back.

<3

I drew a simple heart and passed it back. I watched as he folded it up after reading it and stuck it in his pocket. Then we both tried to focus on Mr. Henderson but then my day got even worse. Not only was I embarrassed, I was even terrified. The police came in with the principal just a few minutes before the end of our first period. We were all confused at first but then they pulled me aside and wanted to speak to me privately. I looked at Adam and shrugged as I gathered my things and followed them down the hall and into the office. I wished Adam could have came with me but I wasn't even sure what was going on.

When we got to the office, the police officers explained to me that I had been reported missing and had to come down to the station with them for questioning. I knew right away that was my grandmother's doing. There was nothing the school could do to keep there and there was no way I could tell Adam what was going on but I was going to fight whatever she was trying to do as best as I could. Even if I was terrified to do it. So, I went with the officers and let them escort me to the police station.

When we got there, I was placed into a waiting room – I guess that's what you could call it, but it honestly was probably an interrogation room. I thought I would just be talking with some officers at first but then one came in with my grandmother and I flinched when she ran over and tried to hug me. She was crying like she had been missing me but I knew it was all an act.

I jumped out of the chair and scooted away from her with my heart racing. I was standing near the officer who had come in with her as I watched her act upset that I wasn't happy to see her. I surely wasn't. She was just doing this because she felt like she had to control me because I was her sons daughter.

"Let's just sit down and talk about what's going on here. Can I get either of you something to drink so that we can get this settled?" the officer asked.