forty four

After school I took a shower while obsessively trying to think of how to do my hair for the fall dance tonight. I was never good at doing my own hair so I ended up just going with something simple. A few curls around my face with some hair tied back. Then I carefully did my make up – making sure to keep it simple. Just a light base of foundation followed by some powder. I stared at the few eyeshadows I had for a little while before deciding to start with a white base and then added a light grey color on top. Then I added some eyeliner to my bottom waterline and then mascara on my eyelashes. I went with a simple nude lipstick on my lips and called it a day for my look.

I waited until it was closer to the time Adam would be picking me up before putting the dress on so in the meantime, I picked out a pair of heels that would go with the dress. Black heels went with anything. When I came down fully dressed, my grandmother looked me up and down as if she was confused. I know I had told her about the dance but I couldn't even look at her right now because it just made me think of my nightmare and that made me start to shake.

"Where are you going dressed like that?" my grandmother questioned.

"To the fall dance at school. With Adam." I answered her, still not looking at her. I made it look like I was staring right at her, but my gaze was slightly to the left.

"Oh." She looked me up and down again, "What time will you be home?"

"The dance is over at nine." I answered, "So with allowing us the time to actually get home... nine-thirty."

"Well, you better enjoy your night... because after tonight, I'm cracking down on the rules and you won't be going much of anywhere." She looked at me, "You look like your mother so much right now... and that sickens me."

I wanted to run my mouth and say something back to her but I knew if I did that right now, then she wasn't going to let me leave the house and I wasn't about to do that to Adam. So, I kept my mouth shut and let her make her comments. She circled me, making scoffing sounds until the doorbell rang and I felt relieved because I knew that it was Adam.

"You better be home at nine-thirty." She muttered before storming off to her room.

I listened to my heels click against the floor as I hurried to the door and opened it, seeing Adam standing in front of me. We both stopped to stare at each other before actually speaking a word to one another. I admired Adam dressed in black dress pants and a black button up shirt that was tucked into his pants. He also had a gray tie on, and his hair was my favorite part about his whole look. It was getting slightly long and there was a slight curl to it that just was flat out adorable.

I smiled as I looked into his eyes, feeling my heart slightly skip a beat. He smiled back at me and I could see his cheeks becoming a little flushed. That's when I started to blush but then Adam finally said something.

"Wow, you look... beautiful." He stood in the doorway, watching me.

"Thank you." I smiled, doing a small twirl so he could get a full view of my look.

"Shall we go?" he asked.

"Yes, lets." I nodded.

Adam held the door for me as I walked outside, even making sure to close the main door behind me as I stepped out onto the porch. I turned to watch him but then he took my hand and led me down the steps, letting me take my time since I was walking in heels. He held my hand all the way to the car and then even opened the door for me. What a gentleman. I smiled as I took a seat in the passenger seat and buckled my seatbelt in. I watched Adam walk around the car and then take his place behind the wheel. He buckled his seatbelt in first and then started the car. Then he carefully drove off and then started heading towards the school.