thirty eight

Adam and I lingered around the command center for a little while. It was mainly me making sure Billy was okay, but Rocky and Tommy assured me that they would keep an eye on him. I was hesitant until Adam reminded me that I needed to get rest just like him. Which was true – but I don't think I could close my eyes for a while. I was afraid too. I didn't want to know what image I'd see again if I were to fall asleep, so for the night... I would do anything to keep me awake.

Adam and I teleported to his house and when we got there, I noticed that Ms. Maria wasn't there. I asked Adam about her, but he told me that she had lessons tonight and wouldn't be home until late. I followed him into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table as I watched him take a cup out of the cupboard and then fill it almost to the brim with water. My eyes followed it all the way to the table where he set it down in front of me and then he grabbed a straw and stuck it in. He must have read my mind because I was about to ask for one.

"You look very... pale." Adam commented as he sat down across the table from me.

"Yeah, I don't feel so hot..." I took a little sip of water and just that sip alone made me feel like I was going to get sick again.

"Zordon said you were in... a reality? What did you see?" Adam asked.

"N-Nothing." I stuttered, shutting my eyes and trying not to think about it.

"I don't think you're telling me the truth." He told me.

"I'm not." I was at least being honest with him, so that had to count for something... right? "Adam, I literally cannot stomach the thought of it right now... let alone talk about it. Okay? Please – just let it go. Please, distract me from even thinking about it."

"Was it really that bad?" he asked.

"Adam..." I shook my head.

"Sorry." He cleared his throat.

"So, I'm not a ranger anymore. I don't have any powers..." I thought about it.

"Neither does Billy." Adam said, "Want to know something weird?"

"Sure." I tried to take another sip of the water.

"All of our respective colors changed with these new powers, except for Kim and Aisha. We're the Zeo rangers now apparently." Adam told me.

"Who's what color now?" I asked.

"Well, I'm green. Rocky's blue, and Tommy's red." He told.

"That's different." I muttered.

"I think I might actually miss being a ranger." I sighed, "It all just happened so fast."

"It really did. I still don't think any of us understand this change." He shook his head.

"What about Rita and Zedd?" I wondered.

"Zordon and Alpha are trying to track them but they seem to have just fallen off the face of the moon..." Adam said, "Right now... Angel Grove is monster free. I got to knock on some wood so that I don't jinx myself here." He did just that.

"Well, that's a good thing." I added.

"Yes, it is." He agreed. "You're really concerning me with how pale you are... Maybe I should take you to the hospital."

"Adam, I'm fine... I'm just shaken up. I'm at the best place I could be right now. If it makes you feel any better, I'll try eating something." I told him.

"That would make me feel better. What about some soup or crackers?" he thought about it.

"How about both? Just nothing... spicy." I smiled.