Chapter 23 - Viscera Affectum Est

Izuku woke with a heavy weight on his chest and a crick in his back. He looked down to see the source of his uncomfort, only to find Eri, fast asleep and snuggled up. Izuku was laying on the couch, probably the reason for his sore back, and the rest of the class was huddled in the kitchen, whispering, obviously trying to keep him from waking up.

Izuku stood slowly, gathering Eri in his arms, and shuffling quietly towards the kitchen. There he saw all of class 1-A, including Aizawa, though they didn't seem to spot him. Izuku tapped on the drywall beside him to alert them of his arrival, those who did notice stopped talking, staring at Midoriya with conflicting emotions, though he didn't know exactly why. The rest were left wondering why the rest of the class was silent, they all turned to see Midoriya holding a sleeping Eri.

The class sat in an awkward silence until it was broken by the door to the dorms opening, the class turned to see their teacher who immediately took in the tense atmosphere. "What am I interrupting, a western stand-off?" The sarcastic remark from Aizawa caused a few students to relax slightly, but Midoriya tilted his head slightly in a questioning motion, what was a western stand-off? He looked towards Eri, trying to see if she knew what it was, but she just shrugged her shoulders. Aizawa saw his problem child's confusion and sighed.

Aizawa motioned for the students to leave, waiting a few seconds before most of them had done so, before moving towards Midoriya. "Are you ok?" Midoriya nodded yes, slightly wondering why his teacher was asking. "Do you remember anything that happened?" Midoriya shook his head no, had he done something wrong?

"I guess it's better that way, you didn't kill anybody, if that's what you're wondering." Midoriya nodded solemnly, he understood that Aizawa wouldn't tell him what happened, though he didn't know why, he figured he could just ask Kacchan, maybe he'd know. Izuku nodded goodbye to his teacher who just sighed in response. His problem children were too strong for their own good.

Izuku made his way up the stairs towards Kacchan's room, hoping to get some answers out of the boy. When he arrived Izuku knocked on the door politely, it took a few seconds before it was opened, when it was, Kirishima was the one who answered. Bakugou was behind him scowling at the door. "Oh hey, Midobro. Whatcha need?" Midoriya tilted his head slightly at the nickname before looking at Eri, usually she would be able to translate his thoughts into words.

"What happened?" she voiced out a few moments later. "What do you mean 'what happened' Nerd! It was all over the news!." Eri giggled at Katsuki's abrasive behaviour, "Izu-kun's been asleep for a while, and he doesn't watch TV." Izuku set Eri down on the ground, holding onto her hand, which caused Kirishima to coo a bit, though it went completely unnoticed from the trio giving each other confused stares. Izuku tilted his head slightly in response to Kacchan's confused stare.

"So you don't remember anything?" Izuku shook his head slightly

"You don't remember that you fought Endeavor? Anything?" Izuku paused for a second before his memory snapped into place. A frown grew onto Izuku's face, he remembered why he had to fight the heroes, All Might.

All Might had painted Izuku as a villain on national television, drawing a target on his back, but not only his, but Eri's. Izuku realized that not only would the heroes know who he was but the villains, he realized that he could never bring Eri outside with him until the danger had passed, which may be never. Izuku would never put Eri's life in danger, and he would protect her with his life. If she was associated with him as a dangerous person then no matter if he isn't there, she will also be targeted.

"That's so mean of him! Right Izu? Izuku looked down towards Eri, nodding weakly. His hand not holding Eri was clenched tightly, leaving small indents in his palm. Izuku looked towards Kacchan one last time, his stare was heated, and Katsuki shivered. He nodded his head at Izuku, "I'll watch Eri." He backed up about a foot, inviting Eri into his room.

Izuku nodded in appreciation, holding out his hand towards Eri, Kanashimi slithered out of his long sleeve. The snake slithered around Eri's shoulders, she giggled lightly, stroking his back gently. Izuku created about twelve butterflies of mixed colors, they fluttered around his head before diving into Katsuki's room, fluttering around Eri's head. Some landed on her while others settled around the room. Katsuki nodded towards Izuku one last time, but Izuku was already walking away, his steps were heavy and the aura surrounding him was suffocating. Izuku made a quick stop at his room to gather his vigilante gear before jumping out of the balcony.

In a building a few cities away, a man laughed. "Today! Today is the day!"