Chapter 8

JJ woke up around 10:30 loving the fact that she had been able to sleep in the last couple of days. She grabbed a sweatshirt and yanked it over herself before heading downstairs in her pjs to find the two brunettes. Rachel had begun to open up a little more over the last day or so. She still didn't make much eye contact, she wouldn't really let either woman hug or touch her much which was killing JJ. She had been terrified of motherhood – still was – but she found that she had the urge to cuddle with the little girl or just have more contact all the time. Since Rachel wasn't really for any of it yet, JJ had become much more affectionate with Emily, Garcia and Reid. Garcia was highly amused when JJ wrapped Reid up in a tackle hug and wouldn't release him when they visited the day before.

Rachel had been a bit wary of the team, Emily and JJ decided to slowly introduce them, so it wasn't overwhelming. Garcia, being the only one who hadn't seen Rachel yet had been dying to see her. She had called JJ – and Emily – almost five or six times a day in the last four days begging to come over. After speaking with Dr. Yang, JJ finally agreed but she had threatened Garcia with violence if she scared the little brunette in anyway.

"Jayje, I'm me, how am I scary? Jack loves me!"

"Garcia, Jack grew up in a loving home with parents who took care of him for seven years, Rachel was neglected and abused by almost everyone. You are very affectionate, she isn't. You can't hug her and squeal and do your usual thing, not until she gets more comfortable around you, around anyone."

"Fine. I'll behave."

"Penelope." JJ said with a warning.

"I promise Jayje. I can be calm." Garcia responded seriously.

"Okay, you and Reid can come today then, she's more frightened of men, so I'd rather wait on Hotch, Morgan and Rossi for now. Reid won't scare her."

"Yay! I'll call him and we'll be over in about fifteen."

JJ hung up the phone and nodded to Emily who had been half listening and half showing Rachel how to play chess. Rachel looked adorable, deep in concentration, her tongue stuck out, she kept flipping her hair out of her eyes and paying very close attention anytime Emily explained something.

"Guess what Rachel?" JJ said with enthusiasm as she came to sit down on the couch near where the two of them were squatting around the table.

"What?" Rachel asked without looking up from the game.

"Remember I said my friend Garcia might come visit?" JJ asked. Rachel nodded and moved one of her pieces. "Well, she is going to come over today, and Reid, do you remember him?"

"No."

"He is on our team, you met them all when we met you. He's tall and sort of skinny. He is great at chess, maybe he can help us play." Emily said with a warm smile.

"Okay." Rachel agreed a little warily. Emily glanced up at JJ. They knew this was going to be a test on how well Rachel began interacting with others. She had never been to any school. Her father had 'tutored' her instead. She was scheduled to go in and take a test at the school Emily and JJ had chosen for her tomorrow. They needed to see what she knew and where to place her. Emily had gotten JJ to agree on a private school, she had enough money saved – JJ always hated using just Emily's money, even though they had been married three years. JJ couldn't argue that it would be easier to catch her up in a private school as opposed to a public one. Plus, since they were paying tuition, they had a little more say and freedom to get her some special treatment. The principal was an old friend of Emily's family and she had spoken to her at length explaining Rachel's situation. They knew that their would be some issues, it was inevitable, but they wanted to be as prepared to deal with them as possible.