Chapter 37

JJ watched as her daughter skipped ahead of her giggling. With a smile, she mimicked her and laced her fingers through Emily's. Instead of whispering something in the brunette's ear like Rachel had done with Kaley, she kissed her wife on the check. Rachel and Kaley ran, hand in hand, ahead with Jack and Tommy. All four children were thrilled to be going to an amusement park. JJ and Emily had gotten the team to come along. Hotch and Rossi appeared less than thrilled and promptly made their way to a quiet bench; promising to join up with them after a few rides.

Jack and Tommy wanted to go on the rollercosters, but Rachel and Kaley wanted to go in the wave pool. They decided to do rock paper scissors to decide. Rachel and Jack took themselves very seriously as they squared off in front of each other; Tommy and Kaley behind them. They glared at each other and Garcia giggled behind them.

"Yay!" The boys cheered as Rachel lost.

"Its my birthday." She whined.

Jack's face fell and he quickly relented, thinking that if this was his birthday he would be really mad. "Okay, lets go to the wave pool, then the rollercosters will dry us off." He offered with a smile. Tommy glared but Jack ignored him and took Rachel's hand. Rachel was his best friend, not Tommy and it was her birthday. Rachel beamed but looked shyly to Tommy. The other boy groaned but agreed to go to the pool first.

Emily looked at JJ and let out a small laugh, none of them had needed to step in. They made their way to the locker rooms and sent Jack and Tommy in with Morgan and Reid while Rachel and Kaley ran ahead of Garcia, JJ and Emily. Kaley quickly shed her clothes and slipped into her bathing suit, completely unembarrassed. Rachel stuck close to JJ and bit her lower lip. JJ noticed and took her into the smaller changing rooms without a word. Rachel and JJ changed and then headed back to meet the other girls. Rachel slipped her hand into JJ's and didn't run ahead to meet the boys. JJ looked down at her daughter, curious as to why all of her excitement seemed to have run out. Garcia and Emily walked ahead and JJ pulled Rachel back a little.

"Hey Monkey, you okay?" JJ asked. Rachel bit her lip and shook her head no. JJ could see that she was close to tears and trying very hard not to let them out. Quickly the blonde bent down to her level and gave her a reassuring smile. "Hey, woah, what's wrong baby?"

Rachel gulped and stamped her foot a little in anger. "I can't swim." She admitted, infuriated at her shortcoming.

JJ felt like someone had punched her in the stomach. She couldn't believe that she had forgotten. "Oh, sweetie, we don't have to go in, there are lots of other rides we can go on."

"No!" Rachel yelled. "Kaley wants to do this I want her to be my friend."

"She is baby, and she will be either way."

"I want to do this." Rachel said firmly. JJ sighed. Rachel had the exact same look of determination plastered on her face that she had seen many times before. It still always surprised her how much she reminded JJ of Emily or herself at times.

"Well, the wave pool is fun in the shallow end, you can hold onto my hand."

"Okay." Rachel said perking up. She pulled JJ up and began walking over to the group, stopping suddenly. "Momma, don't tell them I can't swim. Its embarrassing." She pleaded.

"Of course not baby."

Reassured, Rachel pulled JJ along and grinned with her friends as the whistle blew signaling that the waves would begin.

Emily frowned at JJ, raising her eyebrows in question. JJ mouthed, 'can't swim', making sure Morgan, Garcia and Reid all saw her. They nodded and moved forward with the children. The wave pool could get crazy even if you were a good swimmer, but now all the adults would be keeping a closer eye on Rachel.