Chapter 26

Rachel kicked her legs back and forth impatiently as JJ braided her hair. "Are you almost done?" She asked with a groan.

"Rach, sit still and I will be." JJ said for the second time as Rachel twisted her head around.

"I can't." Rachel insisted.

"Yes you can."

"I'm too excited."

"Well, that's great, but you still need to sit still." JJ said with a smile.

"How many kids will there be?" Rachel asked as she sat as still as she could possibly manage.

"Umm...I'm not sure, I think about twelve?"

"And I'm the youngest?"

"I think so, when you danced for the teacher she said you could be in the upper levels. So you'll be with older kids, most of them are around twelve or thirteen I think. You need to pay attention and do what your teacher says."

"Mo..JJ, I know how to have a dance lesson." Rachel said, quickly. JJ saw her face redding and as much as she wanted to bring attention to the first syllable Rachel had uttered, she didn't. "I've danced a million times before JJ." She added, speaking rushed and looking down at her hands, annoyed that JJ didn't already know that. The blonde sighed and continued braiding Rachel's hair, remembering what Dr. Yang had told them; when – if – Rachel did call them Mom, it would go over much better if they didn't make a big deal out of it. That way, it would feel more natural to her.

"I know, but dance class with a bunch of other kids is going to be different than just you and Frankie." JJ reminded her.

"Okay." Rachel mumbled.

"Alright! Two french braids, turn and let me see." JJ announced. Rachel turned around, an excited, hopeful smile on her face. "Beautiful." JJ said, pressing her nose against Rachel's. She giggled and wrapped her arms around JJ's neck. The blonde lifted her off the counter and carried her over to the door. Rachel sat down and began putting on her shoes while JJ rummaged around for her keys. Emily walked down the stairs.

"All set?" She asked.

"Yup, come on Rach." JJ said as she ushered the little girl out to the car. Immediately, she slipped her hand into her wife's. "She did it again." JJ whispered as they reached the car.

"Really?" Emily whispered back. Rachel had made the same tiny slip up with Emily two days before. It had shocked and excited both of them, causing them to yearn to hear the full word even more than they had before. JJ nodded with a tiny grin. "This is driving me nuts." Emily said, kissing her wife before climbing into the passenger seat.

"What's nuts?" Rachel asked from the backseat. "After dance can we go see Spence?"

"You're nuts." Emily said, reaching around behind her and tickling Rachel's leg. "And yes, we can pop in on Reid."

"He recorded Doctor Who!" Rachel yelled happily.

"We recorded Doctor Who." JJ said with a sigh. Emily had brainwashed their child. She was a full on geek just like the brunette and Reid; JJ couldn't have loved it more if she tried, but she would never let them know that.

"Yeah I know, but I like watching it with Spence." Rachel said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the entire world.

"Not with us?" Emily asked, pretending to be offended.

"I like it better with Spence." Rachel admitted quietly. "But I like it with you too!" She insisted loudly.

"Why thank you, I feel so loved." JJ muttered with a grin. "We're here." She announced. They pulled into the dance studio parking lot and headed inside. JJ noticed Rachel immediately grow shy and stick close to her as they walked into the main studio. She placed her hand on Rachel's shoulders and gave her a reassuring squeeze. A group of girls all around ten-thirteen were in a corner warming up. Rachel looked up at JJ nervously. The blonde bent down to her. "You can dance circles around these girls baby, don't be nervous. It'll be fun." She whispered, making it look like she was just taking her coat. Rachel gave her a small smile and seemed to be somewhat reassured. The dance teacher, Miss Cindy waved her over while the other girls looked on warily. Rachel glanced back up at Emily and JJ once more, a new look of determination on her face. JJ watched proudly as she stood up straight, pulled on her jazz shoes and gracefully walked over to the group. God, Rachel was so tiny. She looked more like a five year old then a seven year old, especially when next to the older girls. "She looks so small." JJ said to Emily as they walked out.