Chapter 28

Rachel snuck her head out from under the blankets and giggled as JJ caught sight of her. "Momma!" She yelled. "You're supposed to close your eyes!"

"I'm sorry." JJ laughed, quickly covering her eyes, but peaking between her fingers as Rachel hid from her sight. In all of the days after the adoption, JJ hadn't gotten tired of hearing the word 'Momma' once; it still made her smile every single time. JJ watched as the blankets rustled again and Emily cursed as she banged her head.

"Mommy!" JJ heard Rachel yell. "That is a bad word." The seriousness of the little girl's voice caused JJ to snort.

"I'm sorry." Emily grumbled. Her voice was muffled under the blankets. JJ could picture her rubbing her head and trying not to continue swearing.

"When can I look?" She asked.

"Drink your coffee and let her surprise you!" Emily ordered, clearly still in pain.

"Yeah!" Rachel added. "Let us surprise you!"

JJ bit her lip to keep from laughing and did as Emily told her. As if it could be a surprise. JJ had woken up to an empty bed and heard Emily and Rachel downstairs as usual. How they could stand to get up so early was beyond her; it was a Saturday! When she finally made her way downstairs that morning, half of a blanket and pillow fort was already in mid construction. The two brunettes had ordered her out of the room, telling her they would call her back when they were ready. JJ refused to go anywhere without coffee first. Under Rachel's orders she was closing her eyes – or at least pretending too. JJ took her coffee mug into Emily's library and set it down on the desk. Technically, it was their library, but JJ always thought of it as Emily's and she liked it that way. The blonde stroked her fingers across the spines gingerly, she hadn't read a book in a while – she'd had too much on her plate. Now her life felt normal, complete, whole, like she had time to do something as simple as read a book. JJ finally settled on one of the newer ones Emily had bought, Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield. She made herself comfortable in the big reclining chair and cracked the book open.

The time passed quickly, JJ found herself enthralled with the novel and before she knew it, Emily's face appeared upside down above her. "Hello love." Emily grinned. She kissed JJ and took a seat on the armrest. "Whatcha reading?" JJ lifted the book up and showed her. "Ah, I loved that one."

"HURRY UP!" Rachel yelled from the other room.

Emily smirked and stuck out her hand. "I have been ordered to come get you, she has a surprise."

"Humm...yes I noticed something odd in my living room." JJ murmured.

Emily laughed lightly and pulled JJ up, smacking her ass for good measure. "We did a kick ass job thank you very much, you are about to be amazed."

JJ allowed herself to be ushered into the living room and caught herself grinning at the sight. There was no hint of the couch or the tv anywhere. An intricate blanket fort had been constructed, and Emily was right, it was awesome. Rachel beamed at JJ and ran over to her, grabbing the profiler's hand she pulled her excitedly to the entrance. "Come inside!" Rachel dropped to the floor and crawled in, JJ gave Emily a look before following behind. Holy shit. JJ thought. This is fucking cool. Emily and Rachel had outdone themselves. It was everything a kid could want in a fort, truthfully, JJ felt quite giddy herself. She looked behind her and saw the same childish glee on Emily's face and her grin widened. Rachel excitedly pointed out all of the complex and unique features of their fort. The tv was hidden inside, as well as part of the couch and right in the middle of the fort was a picnic breakfast.

"Remember what I told you about Emily offering you food?" JJ whispered to Rachel. Emily frowned and smacked JJ lightly on the leg.

"Its okay, its a take out breakfast!" Rachel said happily. "How cool is that!"