Chapter 38

As the months went by and it got warmer Rachel decided that she was going to become a soccer player like her mother. Armed with her neon green ball from Rossi, new cleats and shin guards, she requested two braids from JJ and ran out onto the field in the park. Emily was fit and in shape but had never really been an athlete so headed to the bleachers with a book and a camera. She ended up abandoning her book and began filming JJ and Rachel. JJ was very good at explaining the rules to the young girl, who listened intently. JJ started by teaching her footwork and how to dribble the ball down the field. Rachel wanted to go straight to kicking in it the goal, but practiced anyway.

Emily winched as Rachel tripped for the third time and landed flat on her face. JJ quickly picked her up and brushed her off, placing a kiss on her forehead and showing her again.

Rachel was determined to learn and certainly made progress but grew increasingly frustrated as time wore on.

"Can we just kick goals now?" She asked after almost an hour.

"Sure." JJ smiled and showed her how to wind up and kick the ball with the inside of her foot. Rachel stared at JJ in awe as the ball sailed into the goal.

"Wow Momma, you're really good."

JJ beamed. Seeing her daughter so impressed with her felt amazing. It had been a while since she had played. Truthfully, she had only really started soccer to get a scholarship and get out of East Allegheny; and she had hated a lot about it, the pressure it had put on her, but she actually did love the game. Teaching Rachel felt incredible. JJ showed Rachel again and stood to watch as she wound up and kicked the ball. It went right into the goal and Rachel screamed with glee.

"MOMMA! DID YOU SEE THAT?" Rachel yelled. She turned and looked up at Emily jumping up and down and pumping her fists in the air. "MOMMY! DID YOU SEE THAT? I KICKED IT IN!"

"Got it on tape!" Emily said holding up the camera and waving. "Good job."

"Keep going, I'm gonna go talk to Em and I'll be right back." JJ said. Rachel nodded and began kicking continually, happy that she appeared better at this than dribbling the ball. JJ plopped down next to Emily and dropped her head on the brunette's shoulder. "She's wearing me out."

Emily chuckled. "There is a lot of cute stuff on here. Garcia's gonna have a field day." She held the camera out to JJ who gladly took it and began watching.

"Mommy!" Rachel yelled. "Watch this!" She wound up and kicked it right at the top of the goal.

"Good job honey!" Emily called back.

Rachel kicked a few more goals, then picked up her ball and ran over to her mothers. Slamming her head tiredly into JJ's chest she announced, "I'm hungry."

"Lets go get some dinner." JJ said hauling her up and swinging Rachel's legs back and forth before depositing her on the ground.

"Can we get pizza!"

JJ looked over to Emily and shrugged. "Sure, come on."

Rachel bounded into the restaurant and ran up to the hostess. "May we have a table for three please?" She asked with a grin. "Oh, not by anybody smoking."

"Sure cutie follow me." The smiled and grabbed three menus, leading them to their table. Rachel slid into the booth and began playing with the salt and pepper cans. Crashing them into each other with glee that only a child can have. Emily simply shook her head and slid in next to her looking at the menu.

"Hi, my name is Liv and I'll be your waitress tonight." A young woman came up to them with a bright smile. "Can I get you ladies anything to drink to start?"

"May I please have a chocolate milkshake?" Rachel asked.

"Sure. Anything for you?" She asked Emily and JJ.

"Water's fine thank you."

"Okay, I'll be right back with those unless you're ready to order."

"I am!" Rachel said. Emily nodded after looking to JJ and the three placed their orders. Rachel went back to playing with the cans until the waitress brought their drinks and some coloring paper and crayons for her. "Thank you." She said with a smile.

"No problem."

Rachel quickly decided to draw Emily, JJ and herself sitting in a booth at a restaurant. JJ and Emily were making plans for the weekend, so far, they had no case. Rachel continued to draw until their food arrived then began digging into her pizza.

"Ughh." She yelled and dropped her bite back on her plate. "Its hot." She moaned as she quickly sipped her milkshake. "I burned my tongue."

"Rach." JJ said with a sigh. "You can't spit your food back out in a restaurant. That's not polite, blow on it and slow down." JJ chastised. Rachel picked up the piece of pizza she had just spit out, blew on it and popped it back into her mouth with a grin. "Gross." JJ said with a smirk.

Rachel simply smiled and took anther bite. "Can I go visit Frankie?" She asked out of the blue.

Emily and JJ eye's immediately found each other. Rachel hadn't mentioned Frankie in months since she and Jack had skipped school. Neither of them really knew how to react to her request. All their instincts screamed no. No way in hell. Emily didn't want Rachel anywhere near him ever again. Her nightmares had almost all but vanished, she told them she loved them regularly, she trusted them, Emily couldn't fathom what she would want with Frankie.

"Why sweetie?" JJ asked gently. She kept her gaze on Emily and bit her lip.

Rachel shrugged and reached across the table and took one of JJ"s french fries. Popping it into her mouth she didn't met either woman's eye, "cause." She said softly.

Emily brought her thumb up to her mouth and nervously began gnawing at it. JJ reached across the table and swatted her hand away. "Rach, if you can explain why we can talk about it." Emily said, turning her body towards Rachel's.

Rachel began playing with the edge of her shirt and stared down at the floor. "I need to tell him something." She whispered.

"Can you tell us?" Emily asked softly.

"I don't want to." Rachel admitted. "But I will if you want me too."

Emily and JJ shared a look. "Finish eating sweetie, we'll think about it." JJ finally said. Rachel nodded and took another bite of her pizza. She remained silent the rest of dinner and barely looked at her mothers. Emily and JJ both appeared to be in shock. Rachel mentioning Frankie reminded them that at one point, she hadn't been theirs, it wasn't something they liked to think about. Rachel had come so far in almost a year and they were afraid this might set her back somehow.