Chapter 36

Rachel tugged on her leotard and stretched her foot. She glanced shyly across the room at Kaley. She wanted to invite the girl to her birthday party. She had seen movies and tv, she knew kids parties were supposed to have a lot of friends. She had invited Spence, Mr. Hotch, Mr. Dave, Uncle Derek and Aunt Pen, Grandma, Grams, Grandpa, Jack and Tommy. Rachel liked Jack and Tommy a lot, they were her best friends. Well, Jack was her best friend, Tommy was her school friend, and Kaley was sort of her dance friend. Rachel wanted to have a friend who was a girl other than Aunt Pen.

In the pretense of doing a few split walks, Rachel made her way over to Kaley; avoiding Taylor and Hannah to the best of her ability. The two older girls had never warmed up to Rachel and she steered clear of them whenever possible.

"Hi Kaley." Rachel whispered.

"Hi! Do you think we'll get to practice our recital dance today?"

"I hope so." Rachel said. The two of them rearranged their positions and began stretching their legs, sitting across from each other. "Hey, Kaley umm...I'm having a birthday party on Saturday after dance and I was...I was wondering if you wanted to come. We're gonna have cake and go to an amusement park! Well actually the amusement park first and then back to my friend's house for cake and stuff."

"Okay! I'll ask my mom after class." Kaley said with a smile. Rachel grinned and stood up along with the rest of the class to get into position.

"Alright ladies, today we are finishing our recital dance so I want you paying attention and working hard!" Their teacher yelled out. Rachel looked to Kaley and smiled. Kaley held her hand out low and Rachel gave her a high five.

By the end of class Rachel was one sweaty seven year old as she bounded over to Kaley's mother with her. The two of them began talking excitedly at the same time, despite being tired their energy was abundant. Emily and JJ walked over curiously as they noticed them.

"Hello. You must be Rachel's parents." Kaley's mother, Olivia, said with a smile.

"Hi, Emily and this is JJ." Emily said, shaking the woman's hand.

"Kaley can come to the party!" Rachel cheered. The two girls grasped hands and jumped up and down with excitement.

"Oh, great!" Emily beamed. "Um..we were going to take the kids, Rachel and her friends Jack and Tommy to the amusement park about twenty minutes away and then back to my friend Dave's house for cake and presents. We should be done sometime around five if that's alright?"

"That sounds great, here, I'll get your number." Olivia and Emily exchanged numbers and details while Rachel and Kaley began showing JJ part of their new dance. The two little girls were bubbling with excitement, each had a solo part.

Rachel said goodbye to Kaley and ran outside ahead of her parents, talking a mile a minute. Emily and JJ couldn't keep up so they mostly smiled and nodded as they got into the car. "Momma, since I'm gonna be eight do you think maybe I can stop riding in the car seat now?"

JJ shared a look with Emily and then turned back to Rachel. "We'll see honey."

Rachel slumped back into her seat with a pout. "That means no."

"No, it means I'll ask the doctor. You're really small Monkey, its not about age its about size."

"Momma, I am not gonna ride in a stupid baby seat with my friends. Jack doesn't ride in one anymore, and neither does Tommy, I'll bet Kaley doesn't either!"

JJ sighed and climbed into the passenger seat. Emily pulled out of the driveway in silence. "Rachel, we will think about it." JJ said with a tone of finality.