The Favor Thing

The roads were quiet and empty. Only the warm lights of the street lamps illuminated their walk, away from the castle. To be honest, neither of them weren't sure where their legs are leading them to.

Seri fumbled with her phone, swiping left and right on her gallery. For the past twenty minutes, she had been constantly watching the photos of edelweiss flowers she randomly took a shot earlier.

With every gentle grip of his hands, Seri would quickly swipe to the next photo, her eyes fixated to the screen.

Jeong Hyeok had been holding their hands ever since they departed from Spiez Castle after sharing that hug that utterly meant a sweet thank you to him. 

"Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi?" Seri asked after finally finding that voice in her throat that would not sound so tense. She then received a deep hum of acknowledgement from him. 

"You can let go now"

He turned to face her and for a second, she was positive his eyes were gazing so differently. Her breath hitched when she found him almost leaning in, effectively closing their distance.

But then, the grip on her hands was released. A cold sensation suddenly touched her face as she realized Jeong Hyeok had brushed the canned beer to her flushed skin.

"Your cheeks are burning, Seri-ssi" he said in a tone of concern, still looking at her, now in a closer proximity.

She stood frozen in his up-close view. Her sight wandered his face and realized how expressive his eyes were, how prominent his nose were, and how tempting those parted lips could be.

A slight nudge of the cold can swiftly woke Seri up from the unfamiliar haze, now processing his look of concern.

Jeong Hyeok knew her flustered state very well. He clearly saw his effect on her, the same way she had on him, as it took all the sane nerves in him to hold back rather than pulling her closer for a longing kiss.

Instead, he settled in asking her, "Are you okay?"

How she managed to not give in, remained an unsolvable puzzle. Seri evaded his eyes and scanned the surroundings in an attempt to chicken herself out.

She eventually saw the convenience store they went to earlier and walked towards it for dear life, leaving Jeong Hyeok standing alone on the street. She immediately went for the fridge and got herself the coldest water it could offer. After paying at the counter she drank it in one go and left the store to look for him, realizing he hadn't followed her.

A familiar figure was sitting on the same bench at the park, the moonlight perfectly highlighting his broad shoulders. Seri walked hesitantly to him, tapped his shoulder and sat beside him quietly. She noticed he had opened the first can of beer already.

"I thought you left, Seri-ssi" he smiled, whilst making sure his voice had that hint of subtle hurt.

"Why would I" she retorted then proceeded to hold out the water bottle for him to see.

He chuckled and opened the plastic bag to reach out for another can of beer. He held one out for her, offering the drink.

"Do you want some?" He asked. Before Seri could retrieve it from him, Jeong Hyeok pulled it back closer to him, his eyes narrowing suddenly, much to her confusion.

"Just one can. I don't want to drag you from this bench to your hotel again while you speak of flowers and wallpapers" he added, then finally gave the can to her.

Seri suddenly felt the pang of humiliation. Just what on earth did I do again? she thought. Embarrassed, she still managed to take the can from him and open it cautiously, the sound of it fizzing open startled her in her seat.