Chapter 6

KLARIKA'S P.O.V

"So, where's he going?" Mom interviewed me in the dining room this afternoon.

"No, he's around. But not in school anymore." I murmured.

"You're...that sad?" She studied my profile. I hate sometimes when Mom knows everything.

"He's the best friend. That's all." I answered in short. "What? I can't be sad?"

"Of course you can... But... Kla, you can just..." Mom tried to guess.

"I think I'm full. And no, I'm not feeling anything you have in mind. Don't worry." I chuckled.

"You're 16 and it's normal. That's all I want to say." She smiled toward me. "Because the longer you deny, the more it hurts you."

"Mom...I'm not..." I turned around. "It's the same feeling like for example, who, Sophie? It's the same. But this time it's Toby."

"Whatever you say. But don't lie to yourself." Mom winked.

I just stuttered by her last words but no power to bark again. So I let it be. I just smiled to her as well as slowly ran upstairs with one reason, to do my homework. Sometimes that stuff can always be your excuse. I soon locked myself inside, with so much thoughts in my mind. Maybe Mom's right, that I've lied to myself. Because one person that I should lie to at the very least, was myself. I've cried for couple nights already since Toby told me he's leaving school - and practically - my life, yet I didn't want to admit that I like him. Oh gosh. I just said that. I like him. Maybe all those quality time that we had, intertwined fingers, it all meant more to me than I realized. But what now, he's gone.

Tonight, actually, one of our classmates threw a birthday party and she invited us all. Sophie has asked me to go out but I refused. Last thing I remember, Toby always reminded me of what party we should attend and stuff. Now I lost track of it.

"Oh hello lazy, can I come in?" I bet it's Sophie's voice and she just shocked me.

"You ruined my nap." I sit on my bed. "And yes you can."

"Hah. You better not joking. A nap on Friday night?" She laughed.

"Oh yeah I'm dead tired." I rubbed my eyes. "Wow, you got that pretty dress."

"And I have chosen one from your dresser. Here. Tick tock, we're leaving in 5." Sophie threw a black dress on the bed.

"I'm saying I'm not leaving." I rolled my eyes.

"No more excuse. Your parents will go out for dinner so you're with me." She insisted.

"Wait what? They didn't tell me..." I stared at her eyes. "Right. You're the daughter."

I decided to not complain anymore and rushed to dress up. I know I'm sad because of Toby and my life suddenly started to turn really slowly, but I can't blame Sophie. I know she just wanted to make me go out and see the world again. I've punished myself after all. And Toby's somewhere out of town too. So a party would cause no harm.

"This?" I went out of the bathroom.

"That." Sophie nodded. "Let's go!"

We ran downstairs and I kissed them both, took my door key, then followed Sophie to her car.

"You really know how to turn a precious nap into a rush night." I sighed.

"I love you too." She smirked. "Ready to party?"

"Bring it on." I laughed.

We took about 20 minutes to reach our classmate's house from mine, so there was enough time to make me bored in the car without music. I turned the radio.
She's got a heart like California, and a smile like a Hollywood dream
She's like a sunset back in Florida, and a top down summer breeze...

"Oh Lord." I changed the radio tune immediately because no, that's the last song I wanted to hear.

"I like their songs. Really, can't believe those guys have such big talents." Sophie commented.

I didn't bother to reply. I just focused on searching for good channel to listen to, without having any Before You Exit relation in it. But stupid move. They're everywhere in town. How you could find something without them being the additional if they're everything people have been talking about.

"That mad, or that sad?" She whispered.

"Sophie." I glared her.

"If that wasn't to me, then to whom?" Sophie said. Make sense.

"Just not now... I don't really want to hear it." I finally left the radio off.

"Enjoy the moment, baby Klarika. You're 16 and beautiful. It's not that you wouldn't be able to meet him anymore. He's still around. You can call him... Oh wait. No. You're too scared."

"I'm not scared!" I defended myself. "It's just...unnecessary."

"Hahaha...oh gosh you're so funny. Don't get intimidated baby. I didn't do anything to you." Sophie looked so happy. Ha. "We're here!"

I soon packed up my phone and purse into my handy bag, then followed her to go out. Wow. Stella has turned her house to a cool party venue. I really loved this. Practically, everybody's here. A full team of my class. We had to do this endless wave like 'hi' and 'hello' to the entire corner of the house. Til we got it to the back, the pool side.

"Is that..." Sophie tried to reach my hand when I was taking our drinks.

"What?" I whispered.

"There!" She pointed to across the pool.

I landed my eyes perfectly on him. He's always that easy to recognize to me, even from miles away. Perfect shape, perfect profile. Wrong time. How he made it here without telling me he's coming.