Chapter 8

KLARIKA'S P.O.V

"Shoot! Toby drove you home?" Sophie jumped around in our class this morning.

"Don't pretend like you didn't know that." I squinted my eyes.

"Whoa. What did I know?" She smirked.

"You tell me. How did he know I was there?" I glared Sophie.

"He's...following us?" Sophie laughed. "Whatever, I'm glad you're fine."

"You texted him." I tried to gain this important information from her.

"No I didn't. Why would I?" She ran everywhere.

"Yes you did!" I strangled her playfully.

"Okay okay! Don't kill me I haven't married yet. Okay. Yes I did." Sophie lost her breath.

"For what?" I made her sit on our chair.

"Because two reasons. First, because Toby made me. He's all like you. I don't want to die because of him. And second, because you deserve it, a time together with him." Sophie explained.

"Thank you boo!" I hugged her. "Really appreciate that."

"And third, because the McDonough treated me Starbucks." She smirked.

"So you traded me for a cup if coffee?" I glared. "Ouch."

"Yeah, pretty much. It's night and they offered me to join. What could go wrong?" Sophie looked like just won a lottere. "Ssh, teacher's in."

I was about to answer her but right, our teacher's here. Sheesh. What kind of friend is she. Well whatever, I'm still happy because Toby and I did the pinky promise. If there's something that Toby thinks he can make up with, it's this promise. So I let him. Sounds like desperation, but I didn't need anything else.

"So...did Toby kiss you?" Sophie whispered in the middle of the class.

"Shush. He didn't. Why would he?" I whispered back.

"Well... Hold on. You and Toby aren't...?" She looked at me.

"Dating? No." I tried to look strong.

"Oh...uhm...I'm sorry, I thought..."

"It's okay Sophie." I smiled and kept taking notes from the teacher.

"I feel sorry, really." She sighed.

"You know what? Me too." I stared at nonsense across me. I wish we were.

"There's still a chance. I think Toby does feel something." Sophie insisted.

"I don't think I want to raise my hope for something I don't know if it's there. I'm tired of crying, Soph. So just be it. I think I was overreacting when I saw him yesterday. Maybe we are meant to be just friends. I don't want to ruin that with some stupid hopes." I explained.

"Girl, I got you..." She rubbed my shoulders.

"It will happen when it has to happen, right?" I hugged her back.

"Hmm." She nodded. "Toby needs to have you, unless he'd miss the best girl with biggest heart."

"Ouch I love you." I smirked.

We left the conversation in there, mainly because our teacher has paid attention to this whispering voice which came from the back. Oh how I missed Toby. We used to giggle stupidly over our Biology teacher because he's the geek. Or we used to only play basket ball and basket ball only during Sport til our teacher can never choose another stuff to do. Or how we broke the lab equipment during Chemistry class where Toby almost burned himself. It's always nice to sit in with Sophie because she's amazing too. But you know the feel when your best friend - slash - crush gone away like a thunder in a bright sunny day, right?

"Hey Klarika. Hey! Off to go!" Sophie waved in front of my nose.

"Oh really?" I started to pack my books.

"Jeez you're like an alien today. Too much space out." She helped me pack up too.

"Sorry." I giggled.

We drove out of the school but this time, Sophie and I decided to get some Starbucks first. Yeah that's because last Friday Connor gave Sophie a treat of this new coffee flavor - which I guess not entirely new - and now she's craving for more.

"What do you want?" She threw her car key to me.

"Hot chocolate please." I shouted to the barista because we're the only customers here.

"Plain." Sophie rolled her eyes and made her own order.

"What? I don't crave for it right now." I tossed myself on the comfy chair at the corner of the store.

We wanted to do our English homework in here so we opened our own laptops and started working. That's the same thing we share in common. Sophie and I liked to do our homeworks real soon so we can hang out later.

"Surprise, surprise..."

We were shocked by a voice from the store's front door. So Sophie and I immediately lifted up our head.

"Riley?" I chuckled. "How you doing?"

"Hey, I'm great. How you doing?" He came and hugged me.

"I'm good too. Starbucks time, huh?" I laughed.

"Heck yeah!" He high-fived me.

"Come and join us then! Oh hey Connor!" I soon hugged Connor too who just parked their car outside.

"Hello pretty little girl!" Connor came to me. "What are you guys doing?"

"Just doing stuff." Sophie sighed.

"English stuff?" Riley took my laptop. "Oh I can deal with this."

"Here we go, Valedictorian..." I smirked.

"Ah, not so much." He took a seat by my side, followed by Connor on Sophie's side.

Our afternoon hang soon turned into a creative class where Riley and Connor being the tutors. It's funny because we saw something between Connor and Sophie. Riley practically gave me signs which I laughed so hard at, about how happy Connor was when they saw us here. No, I meant only Sophie. I was the sweet compliment, Riley said so.

"That's right..." I laughed together with Riley.

"Right? Right..." Riley joined me.

"Wow..." I shook my head. Literally my tummy's about to explode. It's so funny.

"Oh yeah..." Riley nodded.

"What are you guys doing?" Connor's face got blushy and all.

"Nope. Nothing. We're doing homework." I elbowed Riley.

"Homework." He laughed.

"I'm gonna kill you Kla." Sophie glared me.

"I'd die in happiness." Riley and I burst out laughed.

We spent whole day teasing Connor and Sophie that we believed have something in between. I just knew Sophie liked Connor. Of course, the Starbucks hang last Friday meant a lot to her.

But I also spent the entire hours looking for Toby. He wasn't here. It's weird because they used to go anywhere together.

"Yeah, he's not here." Riley murmured. "I hope you're okay chilling with me."

"Hey what's that for? I'm happy you're here." I punched Riley playfully.

"Well yeah, pardon our busy days but I'm sure he cares about you." He looked at me. "I know my brother."

"I...know that too. But thank you for letting me know." I nodded unsure. Riley suddenly became weird.

"Glad you have no worries." He smiled.

"Hmm." I raised my eyebrows.

I stared at the rainy Orlando outside. Everyday just turned into another weird day. And I hate the uncertainty.