Chapter 5

I think she's crazy. While I was in the checkout, I saw her banging her head on the dashboard and screaming at someone through the window even though there was no one there. How bad was her home life? Can't be any worse than mine. I know what she's dealing with; I've heard rumors. Her Dad left her family for two years in New York, and her Mom never recovered from the pain. Very pathetic, if I do say so myself.

"So..." Heather sighs. "'Jason Dean' is that your real name?"

"Since you've been calling me either Jason or Jesse James, I'm surprised you'd want to know,"

" I'm only curious, but if you'd rather sit in a quiet car, then go right ahead."

"Alright, well it is. And that's all I'll say of it."

"Suit yourself,"
...
...
...
...
...
...
... "Jesse Ja-"

I take a sharp left turn.
"It is, and what's up with you and the other two Heathers? Was it a rename situation?" Using my hands to emphasize what I'm saying while still driving. I won't be held responsible for a wreck.

"It's only a coincidence. I can see why you'd think that."

"Ha,"

"So... What's your story,"

"Excuse me?"

"You think I'm brain dead enough to believe you had a stash-o-cash, a stack of clothes and fruit snacks sitting in a van?"

"Yes?"

"I don't like my Dad, so I decided to run away and... make my own choices."

"Really?" She flips her strawberry blonde locks over a shoulder

"What,"

"Too vague, I need more," Now, she sits awkwardly in the passenger's seat staring at me. 

"You actually wanna know?"

Her glare catches me off guard, and I give in.

"You know my dad, right?"

"Yeah, I mocked you in school for it." 

"Huh,"

"Hm?"

"Uhm," I slow the car down. "This isn't exactly a happy story. And... not an easy one to tell."

"Go on, I'm interested,"

" My Dad... was in Texas, doing a job at a library. We were all there. My Dad, also; my mom." I can't help but look at her to see a reaction. She just has a smirk with wide eyes, like she expects something normal. " There was a crowd on the street. My mom and I were in front of that crowd. At one point, she let go of my hand and went inside. I waited for her to come out of there. It was two minutes before the place was bound to explode." My eyes get full of fog. A salty tear rolls down. "He said it was an accident, but she knew what she was doing. Last I saw her, she was waving to me out a window, and..." I take my hands off the wheel. "Kaboooo..."
Clearing my eyes, my head swivels to see a slight look of terror.

"I uh... wow. I did not expect that." She sits back up straight and stares out the front window. 

"Yeah, I know."

" I thought you were gonna say 'I read a book that changed my view on life forever!' Something emo," 

"Heh. It's weird. Why did I tell you that?"

"I dunno! Don't look at me," She waved her hands two inches in front of her. 

"Like some unspoken force or something. Maybe a ghost," It's good to have a little laugh after talking about trauma. :ᴰ

Now's my chance to ask.

"And you? Do you have this everlasting ambition to be in charge?" 

"Umm," Heather pauses to scratch her head. Suddenly, she gasps? "Shit, Oh shit." 

"What," I know for a fact she's probably stalling. 

"I knew something felt off, shit." 

"What is it," I roll my eyes at her. 

"Um... Nothing!" Heather gulps. "It isn't important..."