Chapter 14

"WHOOOO" We both eagerly cheered, as we quickly sped away from the police station.

JD's eyes were brighter, his cheeks were a light pink, and his teeth were visible in a smile.

I smiled as well, having escaped trauma and possible jail time.

I looked down at my shoes, I got new ones since Prom. Some grey and blue ones from "World Industries". They're cheap ugly, but at this point, I'm grateful to not be wearing those disgusting flats.

"So what happened," He inquired, smirking with joy.

"It's a long s̸t̶o̶r̵y̴" I put my hand on the window roller.

"Well, we're driving to a new place." He rolls his shoulders and glares at the road ahead.

"I really don't want to talk about it." My head hangs, to look at my shoes. The white bottoms have maroon spots. I should've known I can't

"Ah, come on!" His voice gradually gets higher. "You probably worked your charm, I bet." JD pats the steering wheel.

My heart becomes heavy.̵

"I'm not joking. Stop." Those are the only words I could utter, as my throat became tight, as the corners of my eyes began to burn and my arms got stiff.

"You sure?" He's oblivious.

What I do is switch the glare from the landscapes outside to his wide eyes. I think he gets the point.

"You seem uptight," He sighs. "Want to go to the store?"
My shoulders roll back. "What?"

I didn't notice until now, but we were passing by a shopping center. It had stores such as Gadzooks, Sharpe Image, Walmart; small places. I haven't been in public in a while. It was normally JD who went to the store. And even then it was late at night, when I wouldn't notice. But in the mornings I saw a fully stalked fridge, and oven mitts with the tags still on. Or new shirts in different colors, miraculously in my size for some reason.

JD finds a parking spot near Walmart. he shifts the gear to "PARK"

"Okay, here's what we're gonna do." He looks around semi-frantically. "You got any pape-  nevermind..."
"You go shopping for clothes. Shoes, sweaters, whatever. Just don't spend more than two hundred." He checks around for nearby people before handing me two beautiful stacks of hundred dollar bills. How very.

"And you?" I ask.

"I'll get the hair dye and tissues."

"Great," I answer. "Let's meet back up in..." I look down at the Little Mermaid watch on my wrist. "Twenty minutes."

We both depart from the car and head in different directions.