Chapter 8: 3rd Annual Northwest Ball

"Dipper! I'm so excited! I think fancy parties are my thing now!" Mabel says as she twirls around in the mirror, her mustard yellow dress fluffing up as she did so. 

"These shoes are itchy though

"These shoes are itchy though." Mabel reaches down to tug at the twine-colored laces of her heels. She then goes over to Dipper and adjusts his collar so it sits perfectly over his tie. "There we go!"

"I don't get how you're so excited for these things. Fancy stuff just isn't my style."

"Yeah, but you're actually getting paid to go. Bro-bro, this is your debut as a professional Monster Hunter!" Dipper smiles, remembering all the times this summer (and the summer before) that Ford and Stan had taken the twins along with them on monster investigations. 

"Too bad for the rest of the world. I guess monsters aren't for them!" Mabel put her hands on her hips and looked up triumphantly. "Also... like... Our dates!"

"What a milestone..." It's still pretty crazy how these teens are alive. Dipper had been thrown around and almost killed, yet he only had that one scar on his eye from a year ago. Dipper has gone to several doctors, yet none of them can explain why Dipper's entire left eye isn't blind. 

Ford has examined it several times. He says that when the two of them put up the weirdness barrier, Dipper must have stepped inside a millisecond too early, making a weirdness barrier on himself, which weakened Jeff(who is a gnome, which is weirdness)'s attack on Dipper. 

But Mabel thinks that his "half weirdness barrier" isn't the whole reason why he's such an amazing monster hunter. Nope, her twin brother is just great at a lot of things. 

At the ball, it seemed pretty... normal? Normal-ish. No gnomes in sight, Dipper thought. What did they want anyways? Do the Northwests have a secret grudge against all the mythical in the forest? Is there something that the mysticals want that lies in the mansion? Maybe. Maybe not. 

Saying non-permanent goodbyes, the twins part. Mabel went to go party with Candy and Grenda while Dipper traces to the backyard. The forest looms behind the tall white fence, threatening to command anxiety, like it was a person, ready to attack.