Chapter 9: The Start of the Worst

"Hey Dipper!" Mabel runs over to her twin after class, finding him by their lockers. "Two more classes until lunch!"

"Mabes, sometimes I forget how much of an optimist you are."

"I'll take that as a compliment!"

"Hey losers!" One of the twins' bullies comes up with their clique, looking like some off-brand genderbent Heathers. "Whatcha doing, so alone that you have to hang out together? Such pathetic losers." 

Dipper and Mabel looked at him, then looked at each other.

"We're siblings...? It's kind of our job to take care of one another and hang out. Shove off." Dipper turns back to what he was doing, Wyatt doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Wyatt scoffs and walks off, annoyed and... defeated? That's never happened before. Did something- or someone- scare him off? But then the worst happens.

"Bill?! Hi! It's us!" Mabel yells out to the blonde boy who was with the jocks. He smirks and goes over to the twins.

"Hey~ Pines~" He coos, annoying Dipper.

"Cipher. What are you doing here?" 

"Oh, no reason, really. My parents decided that Gravity Falls was too scawwy for them, so we moved closer near the barrier of the town, but then I found out you guys were living with your great-great-grandma and coming to Ashland High, which happens to be nearby my house, so I thought 'Why not?'"

"Mabel, did you tell him?!"

"Sorry, I couldn't just ignore his question before we left last year," Mabel threw up her hands, "That would just be rude!"

"Well, thanks. Maybe being a few seconds older is making you more mature."

"Aww! Thanks Bill!"

Dipper just scoffs, grabs his books from Mabel (Who was holding them as he got them out of his locker like the nice sister she is), and leaves to go to English. Mabel follows behind, talking with Bill and catching up. 

In class, while reviewing a test that they had the previous Monday, the loudspeaker turned on and a distorted voice (cheap speakers...) sounded.

"Mabel and Dipper Pines to the office."

The whole class 'oohed' and said 'You're in trouble!' when the twins stood up.

"I said Pines twins to the office, it's an emergency!" The two looked at each other, that knowing glare, and rushed off. Mabel took out her phone while in a sprint, there were 4 missed calls from Ford, 4 from Stan, and about 20 kajillion from her parents. This must be really serious. 

When the two rushed into the office, the assistant sitting at the desk told them to go right on in.

"Ah! Pines twins! Just the two I wanted to see." Dipper raised an eyebrow. He thought the principal hated the two, with Mabel being rowdy and him being nosey, but he didn't like to admit it. 

"..." The twins sat down anyways, confused or not. Mr. Xien sighed.

"Look, I know we don't exactly get along, but you guys are needed. In Gravity Falls." Immediately, both Mabel and Dipper lunged forward a little in their seats. "I'm from there, I should know. The Stan twins, your great-uncles, ran into a problem with the Northwest Texts." 

After the Northwest Ball almost a year ago, the message was titled "The Northwest Texts" because it seemed to connect to something greater than getting an item or revenge on the egotistical family.