twenty four.

THAILIANA WILKINSON

THAILIANA WILKINSON

      Thailiana sat with Polly Gray in the Shelby house, both drinking tea and reading the paper. They'd crossed paths at the market, caught up a little bit on their lives before the Shelby aunt had invited her for a cup of tea. The barmaid couldn't refuse, enjoying her presence a lot more than she had expected.

"So, you and my nephew seem to be getting along."

"I, um, well which nephew are we on about here?" She stumbled on her words, not knowing exactly what to say to the woman.

"I'm not an idiot and neither are you, love, you know very well who I'm talking about." Polly laughed at the girl's shyness, keeping her gaze focused on the newspaper.

"Thomas? Well, I spend most of my time pissed off at him, but sure we tolerate each other."

"I can see how much you two fancy each other from across the room."

"Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that." The brunette mumbled, remembering the shared look she'd caught between Tommy and Grace this morning. "I think he may fancy blondie."

"If there's one thing I know about my nephew, it's that he never does something without thinking it through." The aunt reassured, finally lifting her eyes up to look at the woman beside her. "If he's got his eye on the barmaid, he's looking for something from her, not with her."

"That's hardly reassuring for what he wants from me then, is it?"

Arthur Shelby interrupted their conversation, walking into the house as if he'd seen an abandoned puppy on the streets.

"Where's your father?" Polly turned the page of her paper, leaving the young lady beside her looking between them in confusion, casually sipping on her tea. "I'm assuming he's frittering away the 500 you took from us and put into his thieving, whore-groping hands."

The Wilkinson girl almost felt bad for the man as he stared to the ground like a toddler being scolded by their mother. Although she knew nothing about his father, she imagined he'd had his high expectations thrown lower than hell.

"What were you thinking? How dare you do something like that without talking to Thomas or me?"

"Does Tommy know?" Arthur stood still, scared for her next words.

"No." She sighed, adjusting the pages in her hands. "But you're going to tell him."