twenty nine.

THAILIANA WILKINSON

THAILIANA WILKINSON

        The only distinguishable sounds in the betting den were those of Finn's shoes against the hardwood floors as he paced impatiently and the tapping of Thailiana's painted nails against the table.

"Sit down, Finn." Arthur ordered, getting more annoyed by the second by his movements. He glared at his brother's girlfriend once his sibling had sat down "Thailiana."

"Sorry." She muttered a quiet apology, deciding to play with her hair instead. She shared a look with Polly, both worrying for the man they were all waiting for.

"Where the bloody hell is Tommy?" John asked, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed.

"He's on his way." His aunt interrupted him, making it clear that he shouldn't ask again.

"Right then, while we're waiting patiently," The oldest of the Shelby brothers stood, grabbing a crate from off the floor. By the sound of glass clinking against each other, everyone had already predicted what he was getting. "Whiskey left over from the explosion."

Thailiana hadn't lost her soft smile since she'd left Tommy's office and it didn't take long for her friend to notice, the older woman nudging her on the back of the head. The brunette turned to her and simply nodded, knowing she'd understand and the gesture alone made Polly break out a faint look of pride in her eyes.

She turned to watch the men that she'd grown to consider her family, noticing John attempting to avoid his wife's eyes. She raised her eyebrows in curiosity as he swallowed what was left of the alcohol in his glass before he placed it on the table, clearing his throat as he did so.

"Right," John began, glancing between the men who'd turned their attention to him. "Before Tommy gets here, there's a few things we need to get straight between the rest of us."

The Wilkinson girl shrunk in her seat as she noticed Polly's head turn quickly from the corner of her eye, preparing herself for the worst. "You think?" was all she said yet it was enough to make her fear for the Shelby man's life.

"Yeah, yeah I do. I want to know, when did we all take a vote on this expansion south?"

"You have anything to say," His aunt turned to face them rather than leaning on the doorframe. "you wait for Thomas."

"Polly's fucking right." Arthur added, the brunette girl at the end of the table humming in agreement.

"I see all the books, legal and off-track, saw stuff you don't see." John explained, "In the past year, the Shelby Company Limited has been making 150 pounds a day. Right? A fucking day! Sometimes more. So, what I want to know, is why are we changing things?" He then stared straight at his aunt. "Polly, we haven't even set foot in London yet, they've already blown up our pub."