"my mary cassatt"

this wasn't a request, but i thought this was a cute scenario lol. for those who don't know, mary cassatt was an american impressionist artist who lived in france. she is the most famous female impressionist. i specifically mentioned her here because her works normally focused on women and children and capturing the loving bond between them. i also think her works fit the vibe i was trying to get at with this chapter! hope you enjoy. much love! <3

   the new york air wafted in through the open windows in the living room of your apartment. you had just sat down the brush you used to spread a small layer of gesso across the pre-stretched canvas you were planning to use for your upcoming art project. a small sigh escaped your lips as you wiped your hands off with the towel you had draped over the back of the easel.

   you still had no idea what you were going to paint, but figured that getting in the painting mindset would help your creative juices flow a bit better.

   the front door lightly creaked as the sound of jingling keys and recognizable footsteps filled the air.

   "y/n, i'm bac- woah! i didn't know we were living in pablo picasso's house," schlatt began to announce before interrupting himself when he walked to the living room and saw you with your setup.

   "hi hon! i'm just trying to figure out what i'm going to do for my project," you smiled as you hugged schlatt.

   "is there any certain theme?" he asked, taking off his boots and walking back to the front door to set them down.

   "the theme is 'the human experience,'" you responded with air quotes.

   "ah, i see. the first things that are coming to my mind are people exploring nature, not sure why," schlatt responded with a small chuckle as he took an apple from the counter and bit into it.

   "yeah, i can think of a million ideas, but none of them really speak to me, you know?" you said as you looked at your canvas before looking back to schlatt.

   that's when it hit you.

   love!

   love is a part of the human experience

   who else embodies love to me more than j? it's a perfect idea!

   would he really sit down to be a model for a portrait, though?

   your face lit up as you thought of your idea. "actually, i think i thought of something," you said with a smile.

   "and what would that be?" schlatt responded, his eyes slightly widening at your excitement.

   "love is part of the human experience, right?" you asked, gesturing a bit to try and sell your point a little more.

   "i guess so," schlatt nodded.

   "and, to me, who else embodies love more than-" you were cut off by schlatt trying to guess what you were going to say.

   "richie and eddie from the second it movie!" schlatt exclaimed and pointed a finger at you, the smile on his face suggesting that he thought he was right on the money.

   you laughed, causing schlatt's smile to slightly falter into a confused side smile. "no you doof! i'm talking about you!" you smiled as you poked schlatt's shoulder playfully.

   "me? wha-why?" he asked, genuinely confused.

   "you're the best example of love in my life. i love you a lot, and you, hopefully, love me a lot as well," you responded with a playful smile.