The Rain...

Peeps!!!

Happy reading!!

 ‘I know dear. But take this as a challenge, as a test, and I am sure you will come out of it with flying colours. Just think of the good time which is going to come after this hard time, when she will open her eyes and talk to you.’

  I wished every single letter of what he said would come true, no matter what. I was about to ask him something when, all of a sudden, I started losing his voice. I could see water splashing on the window, a few inches from my nose. In no time, it had started raining heavily and all I could say was, ‘I can’t hear you … It’s raining heavily,’ before the phone got disconnected.
 I looked out of the window to see people rushing into the hospital or their vehicles. Seeing that rain, all of a sudden I had this unbearable urge to hear her voice. She used to enjoy the rains while talking to me and, maybe because of that, I too had developed a romantic tendency to talk to her when it rained. It was a long time since I had last heard her voice and I badly wanted to hear my beloved voice again.

  I ran outside in that heavy rain. I searched my phone's memory and satisfied my urge by listening to the voice messages she left for me while I was abroad.

  I was completely drenched from outside.

  And from inside.
One evening, just like any weekday evening, I am playing snooker with my friends at my office’s health club.

  avni is giving me missed calls, wanting me to call her. The balance in her cellphone is low. But I am not calling her back. I am busy playing my game. In a couple of months there is a Snooker tournament in our officd, and I am practicing hard for it.

  My phone rings for the third time. I disconnect.

  She calls again. I am pissed off and pick up the call.

  ‘What?’

  ‘Why aren’t you picking up the phone?’
I am practicing snooker. You know that I am busy playing at this time.’

  ‘You don’t have time for me? Not even five minutes?’

  avni, please! Can we talk later? They all are waiting for my shot.’

  ‘Ok, bye.’

  I keep my cellphone far away from the snooker table and resume playing. An hour later, after winning the rack of the last game, I go back to pick my phone.
There is a message in it. From her.

  U might be happy to win the tournament,

  but someday u might be sad, when u might

  wish to talk to me but I might not be able to do so.
💔💔

  Nothing changed. Even after four days, things remained the same—her unconsciousness, the doctors’ inability to say anything definite, our fears, our prayers and our tears.

  Time and again, we were asking the doctors if we needed to take any second opinion on her treatment. If we could get her treated somewhere else before it was too late. But they were non-committal.

With each passing day, her battle with death was getting more difficult. Constantly being on the ventilator, she got pneumonia
She had already been given ten units of blood but her falling blood pressure didn’t gain any sustenance.

  The threat of the worst changed me. All of a sudden, I started believing in all kinds of superstitions and myths. Had anyone told me—‘Pick up a few pebbles from the road and eat them. It will save her.’—I would have done that too. I was so desperate to make her well that I was ready to do anything. Anything. Without a second thought.
The mental burden I was carrying—we all were carrying—was just too much. Waiting, hoping for some good news, which we did not get. Instead, the bad news, the new miseries kept piling on. I could even feel my helplessness and frustration leading to a mental breakdown. And it was hard to stay positive and not lose my cool and patience.

  Later that evening, the doctors permitted us to take a second opinion for her treatment. Which meant that they felt they could not do more. Her condition was deteriorating.

  We all made up our mind. Apollo Hospital was our last medical hope.
Moving a patient who was so serious was going to be the toughest part of her treatment. Taking her out from the atmosphere of a protected ICU into the open air full of bacteria and viruses, then her transit to another hospital in an ambulance, running amid the busiest traffic—all this involved so much risk. Even the thought of it gave me jitters. A single mistake could lead to disaster. But we had no other alternative.
The next day, we all were geared up for the big task of shifting avni to another hospital.

  But fate kept threatening us time and again. We were about to take her out of the hospital when her dad was asked to do something. We were given a set of documents to be signed and the last one was a disclaimer which read:

  ‘The patient’s condition is serious and this entire transition is being done on the wish of patient’s family. In case of any further damage which may/may not lead to the death of the patient, the hospital will not be held responsible.
Her father signed that paper and we came out after making the entire payment.

  In the next half an hour, we were on the road. Every single minute involved extreme caution. Throughout, I kept saying God’s name in my heart. It was the first time I had been in an ambulance. Being in an ambulance is so different from being on the road, watching an ambulance. I never knew it was so frightening. The siren kept torturing me. Everything was going fine, still, every now and then, I kept asking the doctor with us. And, every time, his response was positive.
Passing those forty-five minutes of restlessness, we finally reached Apollo. They immediately took her to the ICU and we were asked to complete the formalities. It took us almost an hour after which we were allowed to see her just once. I was the last person to leave the ICU. I stood there in front of a new doctor who was going to handle her case. He was the senior-most person amid all those people in white aprons and his team got busy studying the MRI and X-Rays. I wanted to talk to him. But when he appeared in front of me, waiting for me to say something, I just could not.

  ‘What happened?’ he asked, placing his hand on my shoulder.

  ‘A …’

  ‘Yes?’

》》》》》》 》》》》》》》》》》》

Neil's prayers ....avni's words ....her condition..the hospital changing......

What's in their fate??

Do vote and comment and follow pls