5

Professor Henry Hidgens wasn't the type of man that got easily worried. He had a large barrier that kept deep emotions like that locked up. And the last thing he needed was something clouding his logic and reason during this damned apocalypse.

But (Y/n) was a close friend and excellent student that he admired. She was the one person that he could count on for small things and not be called crazy for it. If something happened to her... And of course, Hatchetfield Action News wasn't helping any.

"This is Hatchetfield Action News with Dan and Donna."

"What began as a series of isolated incidents has escalated into what some are calling a 'Musical Riot.'"

The professor shot up from his chair and stared at the television in front of him. "Good god! It's spreading faster than I theorized..." he was shocked at the realization of being wrong, but mostly that what he thought would happen was quickly getting out of hand. "God... (Y/n)..." worry crept up the barrier, ready to get out into the open and take over.

"Despite several reports of violence, the Hatchetfield police have assured Channel Nine that there is no cause for alarm." Donna looked at the camera, her facial expression was hard, but anyone could see the slightest hint of disbelief.

"Because they're a part of it, Donna!" Professor Hidgens shouted, gripping the back of his chair. How could anyone believe that in a time like this?

"Nevertheless, our skittish neighbors in Clivesdale have raised the Nantucket Bridge." The professor widened his eyes and edged back into his seat. "With the ferries down for the season and no accessible means off the island, Hatchetfield citizens are advised to stay indoors." Donna finished, folding her hands onto the table.

Dan beside her side glanced at her. There was fear in his expression.

The television was switched off. "Like fish in a barrel!" Professor Hidgens stood up once more. "Of course, the outside world is no help!" His mind went back to his student that he had told to go investigate something downtown...

"Shit!" He ran over to a table on the other side of the room and picked up his phone, dialing (Y/n)'s number.

"Hi, you have reached (Y/n) McNamara. Please leave your name, number, and a brief message. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you." The professor froze in place. "At the tone, please record your message. When you are finished recording, hang up, or press one for more options. BEEP!"

"Pick up the phone, dammit! I need to know if you're okay!" He gulped. "I need... to know if you're alive..." he choked on the last bit. Those damned emotions had broken his barrier. "What have I done?" The girl had so much potential. For all he knew, she could be doing the thing she hated most! "I guess it's up to us now, Alexa." His robotic companion responded with a melodical ding.

SUDDENLY-

A loud buzz echoed through the room. Professor Hidgens switched his phone for a gun and rushed over to the door, putting his ear to it. "Who is it?"

"Professor Hidgens-" A female voice started.

"Don't lie to me, whoever you are! I'm Professor Hidgens!" The professor moved his head from the door, waiting for the next response.

The voice sighed. "No- Professor, it's me, Emma Perkins. The whole town has gone crazy. I didn't know where else to go." Desperation leaked from her tone.

Professor Hidgens edged away from the door. "Emma, you've come to the right place! Hold on, I'll let you in." He stood up and walked back across the room, shoving his gun into his pocket. "Alex, open the gates!"