Chapter Twelve

" Remember the truth alone will set us free".

                             Anonymous

Diana's POV

I can't believe what dad told me, that I'm his daughter, his biological daughter...

I was speechless and just sat coldly watching the skies. Dad was calling my name but my mind wasn't focused. Suddenly I went blank.... I couldn't feel myself anymore...

" Diana... Diana... Diana..."

I can hear someone calling my name but my body was too weak to respond.
Finally I started waking up from this dream... I couldn't remember my dream as well, it was totally dark and cold...

As I opened my eyes, I saw dad. He was leaning against a chair watching me peacefully with a concerned look.

" Diana,  Diana..." Dad said softly while looking into my eyes.

"Yes dad, wha... what happened to me?" I replied still trying to catch my breath.

As I looked around the white walls, I realised I was in a hospital.

" Diana you fainted... so I called an ambulance and we rushed you to the hospital. The doctor said you need to rest". Dad responded with a broken smile.

" Hmnn..." was all I could say.

Not a minute passed, Stephen and Ms. Smith came with a shopping bag filled with fruits, a cheese cake, some chocolate bars and a plastic bowl of hot soup...

They all sat around and watched me as I devoured the chicken and sweet corn soup without uttering a word. After that, I thanked them.

"Hey guys, thanks for the soup. That was very thoughtful of both of you".

I said happily.

" Not a problem, we're here if you need anything. Hope you get well soon Diana".

Stephen replied with a sad smile.

When I looked at stephen I could see that he cared about me more than just being my friend.
He's a real gentleman and I was very happy to see him here at my sick bed.

Dad shook hands with them both as they prepared to leave, when suddenly dad called Ms. Smith by her first name...

" Anna...? Is that you? Oh my gosh,  Anna!"
As Ms. Smith turned around to see dad, I could see her eyes were watery with tears...

" Tony... oh my..., it's been a long time that I can't recall your face. You've changed a lot Tony". Ms. Smith said worryingly.

They hugged one another and remained silent.
" Anna where are you now"? Dad asked quietly.
How did you happen to come across Diana...?" Dad asked all of a sudden.

" I'm the overall chef for the school. I met Diana at the school campus. She helps me out alot at the dinning hall... " Ms. Smith replied and then asked...

" Tony...? What happened to Linda...? It's been a long time I've never heard of her... Where is she now? Is she still with you...?" Ms. Smith asked with a questionable expression.

Dad paused abit and replied...

" Linda passed away due to car accident when Diana was merely a toddler. I never got a chance to say goodbye to the woman I love so dearly..." Dad replied softly and looked away...

" I'm so sorry..." Ms. Smith replied with her head lowered down.

"She was a good woman and it's not a mistake for me to meet her lovely daughter..." Ms. Smith stated warmly.

" Thanks Anna, it was nice meeting you and good to know that you are around Diana. Please don't leave Diana".  Dad said with a smile.

" I won't... I'll always be here for her Tony. You dont need to worry..." Ms. Smith replied thoughtfully.

" Well I gotta be going... got a staff meeting to attend. Diana see you at school when you're ready".

Ms. Smith said and turned to leave. Dad and I said goodbye as she made her way out of the ward.

After an hour, the doctor said I was good to go. He gave some pain killer medication and told me to rest and could start class tomorrow.

Dad drove slowly down the highway. As we approached the school campus, dad's phone started to ring.
It was my stepmother calling and dad didn't want to answer.

I told him to answer because the phone kept on ringing nearly several time's now.

Dad: Hello...

Mrs. Parker: Tony... Where are you? Why haven't you been answering your phone?

Dad: Honey, I'm with Diana here at Boston, Harvard. I'll be flying over this evening late flight.

Mrs. Parker: What...! You didn't even tell me that you're going to see her...?

Dad: I know it's a unplanned trip honey. I'll call you back when I drop Diana off at school. I'm sorry so please bear with me. Dad replied with a sorry tone.

Mrs. Parker: Okay no good to argue... Call me back once you've settle to fly back. Thanks.

With that the calls went off and there was a cold feeling in the air...

Dad dropped me at the campus and bid me farewell and wished me good luck in my studies. I'm going to miss him. I hugged him strong this time.... I wanted him to know that he was my strength of survival.

I love my dad so much from that moment. And now I know that he was

Later that evening, Amy called from New Jersey, Princeton University and we talked for hours. I told her about the truth I learned from dad and she was very surprised.

We also talked about boy/girl relationship and I told her about Stephen. She couldn't stop laughing and told me how miserable Meera would feel when she finds out.

She was always concluding things which I wasn't quit sure about. And the most important thing was, she would always encourage me to be strong. That's why I love my best friend Amy so much.

She gave me encouragement and told me to be strong. That's what I love about Amy. She is my best friend forever.