Chapter 23

~~~

Chapter 23

Susie glanced around the hall where the action seemed to be happening. The party goers were trapped like sardines in a tin can and the lack of proper air conditioning was really not helping her cause. She tried fanning herself with her fingers but ended up slapping herself. It was a miracle no one had seen that moment of pure embarrassmentt.

Placing her hands away from her face, Susie walked to a mini bar strategically placed in the corner of the room, away from all those sweaty, hormone raged teenagers. She turned back to tell Andrea about the plan formulating in her devious little mind.

Too bad she was nowhere to be found.

Susie cursed under her breath as she tripped over someone's outstretched leg. What idiots. If she had known all high school parties were like the one unfolding in front of her very own eyes, she wouldn't of spent so much time wishing she was part of them.

She collapsed on a bar stool and massaged her temple. Her head was throbbing in time with the excessively loud music playing in the background and her feet were killing her.

She took off one of her high heeled death traps and massaged her foot. Was she really the only person there who did not want to be there?

Suddenly, a figure clad in dark clothed plopped on the stool beside her and with a familiar voice, asked the bartender for a tequila shot. So, he liked them Mexican, Susie thought out of the blue.

She definitely had heard this voice before...

She craned her neck to try to get a better view of his face but the dim lighting forbade that happening. It wasn't until the stranger turned and gave an exclamation of surprise that she figured who he was.

Michael. Kill me now, she thought.

"Susie?" he muttered, his tone devoid of any emotions. It was too late for her to pretend she hadn't heard or recognised him and get as far away from there as possible.

"Michael." She acknowledged stiffly, keeping her eyes downcast, on the sole of her aching foot.

He took a gulp of his drink and swallowed it grimly. "How're things with Noah going?"

Susie narrowed her eyes at him, detecting notes of malice in tone. He didn't wait for her to answer.

"He can't be a better kisser than me, atleast give me that much." he said with a laugh so fake it made Kim K's butt seem real.

"Noah and I are not dating!" she said hotly. "Get that around your unbelievably thick skull!"

He scowled and said, "Is that so, Susie? Are you trying to tell me that even though things were going so well between us, you broke it off with me because of a silly spat?"

He looked beyond pissed at that moment. It was pretty obvious that he ha waited a long time for this confrontation.

His eyes seemed to burn into hers with such ferocity that she felt herself shrinking in her seat. He leaned closer towards her and she felt herself in awe of his perfectly sculptured features. No wonder the girls fell like skyscrapers in an earthquake infront of him.

Maybe she had been kidding herself when she said she was over him. She was definitely not over him, and her feelings might just've intensified... along with the achingly pleasurable heat in her belly. Forget butterflies, it felt like there were dragons down there!

He let out a breath and warm air from his mouth blew across her face. She shivered and he stepped back.

"You don't have an answer, do you?"

His words made her snap out of her reverie. She wasn't going to be intimidated by this hunk of a guy.

"You know what, Michael? You're going to spend the rest of your sorry life over someone who got away thinking that you weren't good enough for her. But you know the real reason she would dump you for? It would be because you're an asshole."

She glared at him and walked away, not turning back to see his shocked face.

Susie had had enough of this godforsaken party. Along with her previous problems, she was now beyond furious. How dare he!

She looked around the room for Andrea so they could get out of there swiftly. But again, she was nowhere to be seen. She was probably having more fun than Susie anyway.

Susie walked out of the hall through the kitchen to avoid running into the sweaty couples making out in the main hallway. Not that the kitchen was any better. She dug around in her purse for Andrea's car keys. She wouldn't stay in that house any longer, she doesn't.

Her face almost in her bag, she didn't notice when she bumped into a sack, or so it seemed, of muscle. She looked up annoyed as she steadied herself from a near fall.

She had bumped into Frankie Locke. A guy from her English class. He was cute, in that nerdy kind of way and Susie had to admit, she was surprised he was here.

"I'm so sorry!" he apologised quickly despite there being not a single scratch on her. She smile nicely at him, "S'okay. No harm done."

She noticed him looking her up and done appreciatively before giving her a charming smile in farewell and scooting out of there.

Susie finally retrieved the car keys and headed towards where the car was parked. Andrea could get a ride for herself, she thought, but brushing the guilt of leaving her only friend behind at the madhouse, she started the engine. A few minutes later, she was out of the parking lot and headed towards home.

It was on the way home that she felt into a myriad of thoughts. Most of them centering around Michael's smouldering gaze. She had felt a jolt of electricity through her body when he had looked at her like that. His stormy grey eyes couldn't conceal any of the emotions he was feeling. His stare seemed to burn right through Susie's soul.

She shook her head, trying to clear all thoughts of that pair of expressively beautiful eyes.

She parallel parked the car in front of her house and stepped out, only to be met with a strong gust of mid November air. Running her hands down her arms that were now covered with goosebumps, she rushed inside and shut the front door behind her.

"I'm home!" she called and bounced up the stairs to her room. The house was quiet without her father, who was away on some official trip, and her little sister, who was at some sleepover. It was her and Justine home alone.

She undressed, removed the glop thst was make up from her face, brushed her teeth and changed into the baggiest shirt she had and pyjama shorts. It had been an unexceptionally long day.

Susie texted Andrea about her car and lay down in her bed, all set to visit la la land.

However, she wasn't able to sleep for long. A crying Justine came into her room a few minutes later and cuddled up to Susie on her bed. The sisters did that each time the other had a problem. Susie stroked her sister's hair softly and asked her tell her what's wrong.

"I never did tell you my height news, did I?" asked Justine when she was calm enough to talk. Susie didn't reply, urging her on.

"Dave asked me to marry him." she said at last, fresh tears glinting in her eyes. Susie hugged her sister hard.

"Aw Tine! That's wonderful news!"

"He only asked me to marry him because... because Susie, I'm ten weeks pregnant."

~~~