you've missed supper...

whyd you only call me when you're high?- arctic monkeys

enola's pov-

"you've missed supper, but no matter. you could do with losing a pound or two." the quite annoying miss harrison tells me.
she shouldn't be telling me to lose weight, every body is a perfect body.
the assistant that was once behind me walks towards me with my new ensemble.
i take it from her as i turn back to miss harrison who has begun to speak.
"the name holmes is coming to mean something in this country. at this school, you'll be given a chance to live up to it."
"but i-" i whisper.
she cuts me off rather quickly.
"and you can begin by closing your mouth. the next time you meet your brothers, they will have reason to be proud of you. too bad your wuss of a sister isn't here, she could use the help. welcome."

we walk down the stairs in pairs of two, all dressed the same.

*miss harrison*

girls, you are here for one reason...

miss harrison rings a bell as we all sit in the classroom.

...and one reason only.
you are here to be made into young ladies

we all continue to walk down the stairs, no one saying a word.

how do we laugh?
we laugh politely.

miss harrison laughs, placing her hand a couple inches from her mouth, then signals for us to do so.
the entire class does so, a unison "ha, ha, ha." filling the classroom.

you all have the potential,
but you are untapped,

two girls walk from behind me, both of them hitting my shoulders.

untested...

two more girls walk by and do the same exact thing, without a care in the world.

...and most of all,
untrained.

a lady comes from behind me, and gives me a slight slap on the back, and continues to walk forwards.

walk as we show you to.

the class is currently in two groups, walking in circles with books on our heads.
"eyes up! up, up, up!" miss harrison tells us all.

speak as we tell you to.

i pass another girl who's doing exceptionally well, as my head is tilted to the side, and my hands are both up to catch the book incase it falls.

"what whim led white whitney to whittle?" miss harrison asks, enunciating each word.
the whole class says it back the exact same.

we are now in class, as always, practicing embroidery.
which i, clearly, have no idea how to do.
'patience is a virtue' it read, although mine was barely eligible.

act, think, be as we tell you, and you'll become acceptable wives

i look over to the girl next to me who's embroidery looks outstanding.

and responsible mothers.

all of us are seated in the dining hall, each eating the same thing - soup.
we all take our spoon and gather some onto the metal utensil.
me being myself, i'm very hungry, so i eat as i would usually do.
except it's not 'lady like' whatever in the bloody hell that means.
i slurp it down as the girls across from me giggle.

follow the path of so many girls who once stood where you do now.

one of them whispers to the other, but i have no care to listen to what the little twat is saying.
i take a sip of my drink as everyone else is eating their soup unified.

and just as we molded them...

i've had enough of the girls nonsense.
i smash my hand onto my bowl, sending the green soup flying onto them.
they attempt to wipe it off as a smirk creeps onto my face.

...so shall we you.

miss harrison rises from her seat at the end of the table, as every girl tilts their heads forwards to look at her.

i sit on my small bed next to miss harrison.
"do you know why i am an educator?" she asks me as i stare straight ahead.
"it's because i want to make people happy." she answers for herself.
"i want you to live a full and vibrant life. not with anger and endless questions, but with answers. i prepare my girls for the world, for the real world. i would never abandon you... and leave you to fend for yourself. like your mother and sister did."
now this caught my attention.
i snap my head towards her as she looks away.
"yes. mycroft told me."
"my mother had her reasons, and so did flora." i tell her.
"i'm sure they did. i knew your mother. we were friends for a while. at school. she was a peculiar little thing. was always unpredictable, always challenging. she never truly cared for anything except her own... unusual ideas."
"she cared for me. and florence." i tell her, slightly shaking my head.
"then why did she leave you?"
we stare at eachother for a moment before she stands up and heads for the door.
"prefects will accompany you to and from lessons. this door will always be kept locked. you'll thank me.. one day, when you're happily married with a pair of strapping boys." she opens the door and begins to exit.
"sleep well, enola."
once the door closes my feelings begin to take over.
i just want florence back.
and believe it or not, tewkesbury too.
i miss them both.
i just hope they're safe and happy together, wherever they are.

authors note !
HI! i'm so so so sorry for not updating in so long, and i'm also sorry for how short this chapter is. i apologize if it has any mistakes, it was really rushed cause i just wanted to give y'all an update. i'm also so sorry it doesn't have flora or tewkesbury in it :(, but the next chapter most definitely will! i hope everyone is staying safe!