1. Unexpected first encounter

The clock on the wall pointed at ten o'clock. Lin Longwei was sitting on the couch, waiting. He unbuttoned his jacket and crossed his legs. Shen Peng was slightly late, making the young man displeased.

He was curious to find out why that man wanted to meet him, and a bit worried. It was not easy to deal with one of the leaders of the underworld in Hei city.

Just a couple of minutes later, the butler announced the guest.

Shen Peng walked in with long steps as if he was the owner of the place. He showed his devilish smile while sitting down slowly.

«Dear Mr Lin, I have to thank you for your help with the matter of last month. If it weren't for your family's ships entering the harbour before mine, I would be in deep trouble right now.»

«I don't think that just a routine inspection would create you any trouble. Maybe just annoy you a little.» Longwei answered coldly.

He agreed to stand the inspection and the consequent loss of time because he didn't want to make an enemy out of Shen Peng for this small matter. His business didn't have anything to hide, anyway.

«Yes, yes, I know. But you lost money, didn't you? I have two presents for you. First, I will recommend you a friend of mine that has a company in the cosmetic industry for your intended investments...»

«How do you know that I want to invest in perfumes?» Lin Longwei asked.

Shen Peng glared at him with irony for a few seconds, lifting the right tip of his lips. Then, he resumed his talk like he didn't hear a word from Lin Longwei.

«And my second present will surprise you a lot.»

After finishing the sentence, Shen Peng wrote something on his phone, and his assistant entered followed by a girl. He handed a little black box with a few buttons to Shen Peng and went out of the room silently.

«This is a new device that entered the black market a few days ago, after being tested by my people. It is an electric collar. You can use it to make people obedient. Look, with this knob you can adjust the power you want, and pressing here you release a shock.»

The girl behind him twitched but didn't utter any sound. Lin Longwei looked at her in disbelief but remained silent to not make Shen Peng upset, with possible consequences for the both of them. His eyes returned quickly to the man in front of him.

«If you want to keep the person alive, it is better not to press it for too long,» Shen Peng continued, without noticing the atmosphere surrounding him. He seemed to be having fun.

«It's enough, I understand,» Lin Longwei said, tired to see the girl suffering for nothing.

«Are you sure you don't want to see what happens exactly?» Shen Peng asked giggling.

«It's fine, I'll find out myself if I become interested.»

Shen Peng released the button and, in the same moment, the girl fell on the ground, trembling but not whining. Her silence surprised Lin Longwei, but Shen Peng didn't pay attention to it. How long had he been torturing that girl?

«Nice, then. I'm leaving now. I hope you like your present.»

The man stood up to go but remembered something. He left a paper on the table.

«Ah! You can keep the girl too,» he whispered and walked out with a big grin.

When Shen Peng had left, Longwei asked the butler to call for the doctor and walked to the girl. He crouched next to her and observed her face.

She was very young, in her late teens or maybe early twenties. Her long hair was messy and dirty, and some dark bruises covered her shoulders and arms. When she lifted her head to look at him, Lin Longwei's gaze met a pair of bright, clear eyes, similar to mountain springs. Her face was delicate like that of a princess.

Lin Longwei tried to unlock the collar to set her free, but she moved back by reflex. One of her hands was sustaining her on the floor. It slipped when she moved, and the girl fell flat.

He tried once again to reach the collar, but she bit his hand.

He screamed, more for the surprise than for real pain. «Ok, ok, let go! I won't touch you! I promise!»

She moved back a few centimetres, trying to put some distance between them. She attempted to get up, but her arms failed her again. She glared at the man, following his actions with alertness.

She was ready to fight back, even if her body wasn't reacting the way she wanted.

Lin Longwei sighed and let the girl sitting on the ground. He returned to the couch, waiting for the doctor. He wondered who that girl was.

He could tell that girl wasn't a regular teenager.

She had a wild gaze but delicate hands. The bruises weren't enough to hide her beauty. Shadowed by the trembling, her movements had an intrinsic elegance.

She must have been the young lady of a prominent family. At lest, Lin Longwei thought, a well-standing one.

The man's eyes stopped on the paper on the table. He picked it up and read the information on it summarily. He chocked on his own saliva, seeing the name that was on the top.