16 Dinner with the Senator (1)

Wang Meng was rigorously on time. He picked up Xu Mei with an ordinary-looking car and didn't even try to get off to open the door for her.

The girl sat on the passenger seat and fastened the seat belt. Indeed, she was too efficient for wasting time with formalities.

«How are you feeling?» the boy asked immediately.

«I'm fine.»

«Luckily, you didn't catch a cold. Did Xu Yanhuo scold you too badly?»

«No, he didn't. He ordered me to seduce your boss instead.»

«We expected that much.»

«We? Lin Longwei and you? Were the two of you the culprits behind Bao's scandal? Did Lin Longwei cause all that mess out of spite? Because my uncle won the elections this time?»

«I don't think that's the reason behind his actions.»

«I can't understand politicians.»

Wang Meng sighed and focused on driving.

«Wang Meng, why are you working for him?» Xu Mei asked, at some point.

«Because I want to learn from him whatever I can. Both business and politics.»

«Is that all?»

«I happen to agree with him on some topics, and I want to help him.»

«Is he that good as a senator?»

«He's the strongest opponent your grandfather has in the Senate, and he has quite a lot of consent. Nearly a third of the Senate is under his command. If he continues on this path, he may enter the State Council soon. Not he personally, I mean, but one of his people.»

«So, he may win the next governor elections five years from now?»

«I think he will. Unless he aims for a higher position when the time comes. And your uncle won't last for that long. He will retire sooner.»

«You look informed.»

«It's part of my job.»

«Speaking of jobs, what do you need me for?»

«I have no clue.»

«How?» she asked, surprised. She thought Wang Meng was the right-hand man of Lin Longwei. Was it possible for him to not know something?

«We're here.» Wang Meng pointed out while the gate of the Pearl Palace was opening.

Two and a half minute later, he stopped in front of Lin Longwei's residence.

«I am not coming in, see you soon,» he greeted her. He noticed how the girl was still relaxed, and he sighed. Didn't she have any self-preservation instinct?

Xu Mei got out of the car and headed to the entrance. She rang the bell puzzled.

Lin Longwei opened the door in person.

«You're finally here!»

«There was a lot of traffic.»

Xu Mei looked at the clock. It was twenty to seven, almost dinner time.

She had thought that reaching the Pearl Palace by car would be faster than using the subway. Unfortunately, traffic jams were everywhere at that hour of the day. Wang Meng had done his best, but they still lost a lot of time on the road.

However, at that moment, refusing to eat with Lin Longwei would be quite impolite. Xu Mei realised it was probably a trap set for her.

«What do you want to talk about?» she asked while stepping in.

«Supper will be ready soon. Do you want some wine before eating?» Lin Longwei offered, instead of replying.

«I want an answer.»

«I will show you later all the data I have. It has been a long day for me, right now I'm relaxing my brain.»

«You had the time to come find me this morning.»

«Yes, I managed somehow,» Lin Longwei confessed with a grin. «I also want to ask you something more private, but I don't want to make you angry.»

«If your question can anger me, then it's probably better if you forget it.»

Xu Mei sat on an armchair in the living room and picked an apple from the table. She tried to bite the fruit, but Lin Longwei stopped her by seizing the apple and putting it back in the basket on the table.

«Don't spoil your appetite!»

«Yes, uncle Lin!» Xu Mei replied, rolling her eyes.

Lin Longwei winced hearing the girl calling him uncle. He didn't know how he was supposed to react. He wasn't that older than her, in the end.

«Be a good baby-girl and listen to me, then,» he finally said, patting her on the head.

«I am not a kid» she complained but didn't chase his hand away.

«I know you're not.»

«Did you want to ask me about Prime Minister Xu?»

«What did he want you to do?»

«How do you know?» she asked surprised.

«I know a lot of people like him.»

Xu Mei looked down, considering whether to confess her grandfather's plan or not. She didn't dare to say that words to Lin Longwei's face.

Her heartbeat quickened, and her hands started to sweat.

What would Lin Longwei do if he knew?

Xu Mei didn't want to make trouble for Lin Longwei, but if he decided to avoid her from that moment on, her grandfather would surely know it. Her mother's family would be in danger again if she didn't do what the Prime Minister asked of her.

«What does he want from you?» Lin Longwei repeated his question and observed the girl in a panic.

Her breathing was accelerated, and she didn't dare to look at him.

His eyes turned dark with anger.

«Answer.»

She flinched on the armchair but didn't raise her head yet.

Lin Longwei was losing his patience.