11. The gala (2)

The water was cold, and that freshness was pleasant on the girl's skin. If Xu Mei didn't need to breathe, she would have remained there forever.

She swam to the surface of the pool and pulled herself out. People were gathered around her to see what had just happened.

«Oh my, oh my! You shouldn't wear high heels if you don't know how to walk in them,» her cousin said with a cunning grin.

One of Xu Mei's shoes was near the pool border, while the other was probably still in the water.

The girl was going to get up when she noticed that her dress was glued to her body, and the wet fabric had become transparent.

So that was what Xu Bao was trying to say...

'Your fashion knowledge is indeed enviable,' Xu Mei thought.

At that moment, the girl felt humiliated. She embraced her body, trying to cover as much as she could.

She didn't know how to get up without showing her figure to everyone until a pair of familiar hands covered her with a black jacket.

Wang Meng was standing next to her, but he was still wearing his own jacket. Then whose was that?

Lin Longwei was talking to some people, not paying attention to the scandal a few meters from him. He had just his shirt on.

Xu Mei clung to the warm coat, getting up and heading to the exit of the terrace with her head bowed.

«Grandpa, I'm afraid cousin got hurt,» Xu Bao cried.

Unbelievable, why was she crying? Xu Mei couldn't resist but wonder how far that brat could go.

Xu Mei didn't understand the thought process of most of the people around her. Still, she knew that her cousin hated her from the depths of her heart. Why it was that way, Xu Mei couldn't guess.

«Xiao Mei, go to a room to dry yourself. It's getting chillier at night,» the Prime Minister advised the girl in front of everyone and accompanied her to the door.

«It's better if you go home now,» he whispered with a disappointed tone when they were alone. «You managed to shame me quite quickly this time.»

Xu Mei nodded and headed inside.

In front of the room, she met Lin Longwei.

She was still wearing his jacket and didn't want to return it yet. She bowed her head, ashamed of the ridiculous spectacle of a few minutes before. She intended to pass quickly by the man's side, but he grabbed her forearm.

«Are you all right?» he asked.

«Yes,» the girl answered and tried to push his hand away, without success.

Lin Longwei dragged Xu Mei inside the room and grabbed her chin with one hand. He used a tissue to wipe the smudged make-up on her face. His touch was delicate and caring as if she was some kind of treasure.

Her eyes got wet in an instant. Xu Mei was sure he noticed that she was fighting to keep tears back, but he pretended not to see.

«Why didn't you fight back?» he asked her.

«Because I am a coward.»

«How can a coward be fighting with the Insur...»

Lin Longwei couldn't finish his sentence because the girl's hand was pressing hard on his lips.

«Don't mention them here,» she whispered in his ear. «Do you understand?»

Xu Mei's hand had moved on her own when she guessed what he was going to ask. When the initial panic had vanished, she realised how close they were, and she retreated.

«I'll be done in about an hour. I'll send you home,» Lin Longwei said and walked out.

When the door closed, Xu Mei looked at her burning hand. Her brain recalled the perfect shape of Lin Longwei's lips, and she felt the blood flowing in her cheeks, and her heartbeat fasten. She never felt that way in her life, so she didn't understand what was happening with her body.

She took a shower and worn the clothes that a maid delivered to her together with her purse. She lied down on the bed and looked at the watch on the wall.

She had to wait for forty minutes more. She didn't realise she fell asleep until a light knock woke her up.

Lin Longwei was wearing a spare jacket that Wang Meng prudently prepared for him.

He entered the room and leaned on the wall, waiting patiently as Xu Mei collected her belongings. The girl started to search for her shoes, and Lin Longwei put his hands in the pockets.

The pair she had used for the evening was probably still in the swimming pool, and it seemed like the maid had forgotten to bring a new pair to her.

After a few minutes, she gave up her research and turned to him with a difficult expression.

«I don't have shoes!» the girl exclaimed, opening her arms with desperation. «How can I go now?»

Lin Longwei smiled mischievously, amused by her reaction.

«I have a solution to your problem, miss.»

Xu Mei tilted her head to the side, curious.