14. She's evil

At the table, Xu Mei was sipping coffee, enjoying its bitter taste and rich aroma. She was the only one in the Xu family drinking coffee, a habit she had taken from her mother. She had a peaceful expression on her face and didn't pay too much attention to the other two people sitting with her.

Xu Bao, on the other hand, was feeling pleased about the situation but couldn't stand that little slut showing off her calm in front of her.

«Dad, I think it's all Xu Mei's fault,» she started.

«Xiao Bao, don't say unnecessary things. How can it be her fault?»

«Everything happened right after I pushed her into the pool!»

«So you did push her!» Xu Manho looked at his daughter with rage. «Apologise to her, now!»

«I don't want to,» Xu Bao refused, crossing her arms and glaring at the girl in front of her.

Xu Mei looked at the show with a grin. They didn't even wait for her to leave the table to make fools of themselves.

«Xiao Bao, be reasonable. Even if Xiao Mei took pictures of you, she wouldn't expose them for such a petty matter.»

«You don't know her the way I do, dad! She's evil!»

«Xiao Bao!»

«Just you wait, Xu Mei! I'll make you pay for that,» she threatened, remembering that the girl was still in the dining room with them.

«I can't wait for your revenge,» Xu Mei articulated with her eyes half-closed. She leaned on the back of the chair and put down the empty cup. She smiled at a Xu Bao in a nervous breakdown. That brat's face was so different when their grandfather wasn't present.

«Uncle, I hope you will convince my cousin to avoid doing anything stupid. Before she hurts our Xu family's reputation... even more,» Xu Mei pleaded while getting up. «I'm heading back to the dormitory. I have a test tomorrow. Have a good day, both of you.»

The girl left the room without looking back, escorted by Xu Manho's uneasy stare and Xu Bao's poisonous voice whispering «slut!».

While she was in the subway, her phone vibrated. She read the message with a curious expression.

- Did you sleep well? LL

That guy had saved his number under the name of 'Favourite Senator'.

- Yes

She answered immediately and then waited for a response.

- I'm relieved.

- Why didn't you contact me on Weibo? I left you my account.

- The username was too weird to be true. Is your grandfather angry?

- He is, but not at me for once. It's refreshing.

The signal was not optimal since the subway ran nearly a kilometre under the ground. Xu Mei had to receive and send all the messages at the stops, which had some degree of connectivity.

- Are you busy next week?

- I'm supposed to study for the midterms. I'll attend classes

- Nice. Do your best!

- I always do.

Xu Mei smiled, getting off the train. Her good mood hadn't dispersed yet.

She decided to spend the money left on the credit card the Prime Minister gave her to buy a dress. She went to a nearby high-class restaurant and bought takeaways.

Then, she headed to her room.

The two girls that Xu Mei shared the room with were studying in silence.

«I bought lunch. I hope you haven't eaten yet,» Xu Mei greeted, walking in the room with the food.

The two girls opened their eyes wide and hugged her while screaming: «I can't believe you actually brought us food from a famous restaurant!»

«I was in a good mood.»

«It's because your uncle got elected again, isn't it?»

«Yeah, right,» she nodded with a light smile.

«If I could vote, I would vote for him every time!» one of them said.

«Don't talk nonsense. Where have you ever seen a woman voting?» the other answered without too much thought.

«I was just saying... Well then, I will convince my future husband to vote for the Xus!»

«You can be bought with just a meal, don't you feel shame?»

«I think it would be nice to be able to vote or be elected,» Xu Mei explored the ground with her roommates.

«I don't know. It seems so much trouble. In exchange for that, you would have to serve the army.»

«It doesn't seem too bad, to me,» Xu Mei uttered.

«Regardless, I would not be able to vote even if I were a man since I'm too poor,» the girl said while finishing the food.

«You know what would be even nicer?» the other asked. «Having my own money. It's hard to put aside enough to buy the things you like.»

«Yes, you are right,» Xu Mei agreed while thinking of the estates and various company shares that she was not free to use as she wanted.

She had to obtain her tutor's written permission for every move. And her tutor was her grandfather, as the closest man alive that was related to her. Her older brother was still too young when their father died, fifteen years before, and her grandfather refused to leave that role to him later. He didn't want to trouble Xu Ting's life and future marriage with pointless responsibilities.

«I'm going out for a walk. I'll throw the trash» Xu Mei informed the two girls while heading out.

In the end, her mood was ruined before the end of the day.