15. Mu Jian

That Monday, Xu Mei finally attended classes. She sat on her usual place in the back of the enormous auditorium.

She took out her laptop and opened a file with exercises. She didn't attend school for half a month, and the midterms were approaching. For the time being, she needed to understand the minimum required to solve some of the problems.

She started to work and didn't notice that the first lesson had soon ended.

In the break before the next class, students got up from their seats and chatted in groups or went for a short walk to distract a bit. At that moment, she noticed the young man sitting two seats from her.

«Mu Jian, you're here,» she greeted him coldly, before returning to her work.

«I have been here for quite a while.»

«I'll use this time to study a bit more if you don't mind.»

«I don't mind, but it doesn't seem it's the same for him,» Mu Jian uttered. He smiled, pointing with his chin at a point behind the girl.

Xu Mei turned to see who Mu Jian was referring to.

Lin Longwei was getting close to their seats. He sat right next to her.

«Good morning, miss Xu» he greeted, observing the papers she was surrounded of. «You seem busy.»

«Good morning» Mu Jiang greeted with a mischievous smile.

At that moment, Lin Longwei noticed that he and Xu Mei weren't alone.

He examined that unknown man. He was young, probably Xu Mei's age, and stood out with that long silver hair. When their eyes met, Longwei felt a bit familiar. They were yellow like those of a wolf.

He remembered where he already saw eyes like that.

«Are you perhaps related to Senator Mu Li?»

«He's my father» Mu Jian answered, smiling.

«I happened to replace someone in the vaccination control commission, so I worked with him for a while. My name is Lin Longwei.»

«I see... You are my dad's colleague. So, can I call you Uncle Lin?»

Lin Longwei's expression froze. He wouldn't care too much of a naughty brat if they weren't in front of Xu Mei. He shifted his gaze a bit and confirmed that she wasn't paying attention to either of them. He sighed relieved.

«I'm not much older than you, little Mu. I am twenty-nine.»

At that moment, the girl lifted her head and asked, looking at him: «you're not even thirty?»

«Do I look older?»

His expression was calm, but his eyes were revealing sadness. Xu Mei regretted her joke for a moment. She wanted revenge for when he didn't believe to her age, the previous week, but she didn't expect to hurt his feelings that much.

«Xiao Mei, don't be that impolite,» Mu Jian intervened. Xu Mei glared at the young boy, confused.

«What are you doing here?» she then asked Lin Longwei.

«I wanted to see you.» Lin Longwei smiled sincerely.

«As you said, I'm busy right now, and the lesson is starting soon.»

«As far as I know, university lessons are open to the public. What are you doing for lunch?»

«I have classes until this afternoon, I don't have a break for lunch, today.»

«And for dinner?»

The man stretched his hand and moved a rebellious lock of hers behind the ear.

«I'll probably study,» she mumbled, not reacting at the contact.

Lin Longwei nodded, considering her words.

«I'll send Wang Meng to pick you up at half-past five. I have something I'd like to talk to you about.»

«See you later, then.»

She turned her attention back at her exercises.

Lin Longwei greeted Mu Jian with a nod and went out the auditorium right before the next lesson started. He had a little grin on his face, sign that he got what he wanted.

«You have a lot to update me about!» Mu Jian started and moved closer to Xu Mei. His eyes were shining like gems, curious and excited by the sudden development. He was surprised that someone as quiet and reserved as Xu Mei could meet one of the most influential people in the Senate. Judging by the slightly red cheeks the girl had, they didn't just meet.

«Don't be a nuisance. I'm trying to focus.»

«You can use the time your insomnia gives you to study. Now I want to know how you hooked up with 'The' Senator Lin?»

«What are you talking about? I didn't hook...»

«He touched your hair and survived.»

Xu Mei didn't know how to respond to that last statement, so she pretended to be writing something on her notepad. Then, she remembered how Mu Jian had called her a few minutes before, and couldn't hold her curiosity.

«And what's got into you? You've never called me Xiao Mei!» the girl whispered. What was that moron planning?

«I wanted to see Uncle Lin's reaction.»

«Why would he have a reaction?»

Mu Jian stared at the girl for a few seconds, unsure whether she was kidding or she was really dense. He decided to not inquire further. He would find out, eventually, what had happened.

«I was really worried this time. We didn't have news about you for days. Are you coming to the base soon?»

«Today, I don't have time. What about tomorrow evening? I have some things to report.»

«Is Lin Longwei related to your disappearance?» Mu Jian couldn't refrain from asking.

The girl sighed, pondering how much to reveal to her friend.

«No, but he's the one to thank that I'm back in one piece...»