17. Dinner with the Senator (2)

Lin Longwei observed the girl in front of him. He didn't want to frighten her, but his harsh tone was misunderstood.

«I'm not angry,» he tried to comfort her with a sweet tone. «Not at you, at least.»

«I'm not frightened» she defended herself, but she was still in a cold sweat.

«Is the Prime Minister blackmailing you?»

«No!» she denied immediately. Too fast.

Lin Longwei leaned on the armrests preventing her from getting up and whispered in her ear: «why are you so nervous? I won't hurt you, I promise.»

«Can I trust a promise from a politician?» she asked mockingly. She was a bit more relaxed than a minute before, but her back was still straight and her senses on alert.

Lin Longwei smiled and retreated.

«Dinner is ready. Let's eat.»

When Xu Mei headed to the dining room, the man stopped her.

«Wait a moment.»

He hugged her from behind and rested his head on her shoulder.

«I'm so tired. Let me stay this way for a minute only, sixty seconds. You can count.»

Xu Mei sighed but didn't push him away.

She planned to tell him about the order her grandfather gave her but was still afraid of his reaction. That was the main reason why she didn't refuse his hug.

His arms were hooked around her waist, and his hair was tickling her neck. After a few seconds, her body finally got rid of the distress. Her head naturally bent and leaned on his. She was still counting the time in her mind, but the numbers were flowing slower.

When she reached sixty, she parted unwillingly.

«I'll tell you everything at dinner,» she said while walking and looked at him.

He was smiling tenderly, and the aura around him was so gentle that she didn't fear any more his reaction. She felt safe, for the first time after a long, long time.

Lin Longwei moved the chair for her and personally poured her tea. He didn't force her to talk but waited for her to be ready.

She ate with appetite. After the overflowing emotions of before, she was finally hungry.

«My grandfather asked me to stay by your side to convince you to support him to pass some kind of regulation. He said that he planned to force early elections to try to gain more seats at the Senate. However, since Xu Manho showed on-air his incompetence, he would not be able to obtain so many votes anymore.»

«I figured that much, thank you.»

«That is the truth!» she defended herself.

«I know, I know, but it cannot be all.»

«Well, it's pretty much everything.»

«So you were panicking for that?»

«Yes...?»

Lin Longwei felt his mood improve. He had thought the Prime Minister would send his granddaughter to do the Gods know what to help him gain more votes. That idea angered him so much that he didn't realise his temper frightened that little kitten that was calmly eating alongside him. He felt the urge to comfort her and protect her from the brutal world she was living in.

«So are you going to proceed with the plan?» he asked sneering.

«If I wanted to, I wouldn't admit everything to you.»

«It may all be part of a larger plot.»

«I'm not like my grandfather. Or like you.»

He laughed for a few seconds. «Is it that bad to be like me?»

«Can I ask you one thing?»

«Go on.»

«Did you plan to create a scandal at the ball in advance, to prevent early elections?»

He looked at her in disbelief. The only reason he ordered Wang Meng to send the photos to the paparazzi was that he saw that young brat push his Xu Mei into the pool without any reason. He couldn't refrain himself from a little revenge, but he didn't know if coming clean would gain or deduct him points with the girl. He decided to keep it a secret.

«I planned that move long ago. I didn't expect I would use those photos so soon, but the situation was too alluring.»

She nodded. «I'm just asking, I'm not complaining. In the end, you indirectly helped me.»

«Then, you owe me again.»

«No, I didn't ask you to do anything!»

«I'm kidding.»

Xu Mei sighed relieved. She already owed him one for not revealing to the Prime Minister how they met. However, she would return the favour by helping him with the data analysis they talked about a few days before.

«Did the Prime Minister investigate your incident?» Lin Longwei asked, scanning her expression.

«You mean the bruises? No, he said that he searched for the culprits, but his men failed to find anything. I don't think he has time for such a small matter.»

«I don't understand one thing.»

«What?»

«Your own grandfather is treating you like a tool. Your little cousin pushed you in a pool at night with no second thought. Why the hell are you still staying in that family?»

«I usually stay at the dormitory or my mom's home. I spend as little time as I can at the Xu residence.»

«They don't deserve you.»

«They don't even know me truly,» she stated.

«There are other things I would like to know, but we'll talk another time.»

Lin Longwei wanted an excuse to invite her over again, so he didn't ask any further.

«Let's talk about work now.»