4. Prime Minister Xu

Xu Mei was a quiet person. She didn't talk a lot to strangers. That Longwei knew already.

In the past, Lin Longwei had thought that the girl was a cold and arrogant beauty. There were many girls like that in the families involved with the government. He couldn't imagine that she was just shy.

During the three days she stayed in his residence, Xu Mei didn't talk much and, when she did, it was always with him or the maid he assigned her.

With the other people in the house, she just nodded or shook her head.

She avoided looking to people in the eyes when not communicating with them, and she seemed like she was lost in her own world most of the time.

When her grandfather, the Prime Minister arrived, they were sitting in the living room. Longwei was writing emails, while the girl was reading a newspaper.

«The Prime Minister Xu Yanhuo is at the door,» the butler said.

«Let him in,» Longwei ordered, putting his laptop away.

Xu Mei closed the newspaper, sighing annoyed. She looked like she didn't want to see her grandfather. Longwei pretended to not notice.

Prime Minister Xu entered with the same confidence that Shen Peng used a few days before.

«Good afternoon to everyone,» he greeted them cheerfully.

«Good afternoon, Prime Minister,» Longwei answered, while Xu Mei remained silent. «Let's drink some tea together. What do you think?»

«It's a good idea.»

The butler served the tea to the three people awkwardly staring at each other.

The most indifferent was surely Xu Mei, Longwei noticed.

Her grandfather was staring at him, weighing whether to ask about how she ended in that man's house.

Lin Longwei, on the other side, didn't know how to start the conversation.

'This girl just doesn't want to help me,' he thought.

«So, Senator Lin, it would be nice to explain how my granddaughter ended up in this state.»

«I found her not far from here three days ago. She was being targeted by a group of delinquents, so I helped her. Once home, I noticed that she was your granddaughter, but it was late in the evening, and I decided to call you the next morning. I haven't called the police yet, as you are a public figure.»

«I am grateful for that. The elections will be held in two days, it would be bad for everyone if a scandal arose right now.»

While saying this, the Prime Minister was looking at Xu Mei with disappointment.

«I am sorry to trouble you even more, but is it too much if I ask you to keep her until after the elections?» he asked, with a tone that didn't really admit a no.

Longwei turned to look at Xu Mei, but she was ignoring both of them while sipping tea. The cup in her hands was trembling, but she was already able to drink by herself. She didn't seem interested in the conversation, even though she was its major topic.

«Naturally, everything shall remain a secret between the two of us,» Xu Yanhuo continued. «I will be very grateful in the future.»

«Three,» Longwei said absently.

«Three what?» Xu Yanhuo thought, for a second, that the young man was asking for money.

«There are three of us in this room. To keep a secret.»

«I want to go back,» Xu Mei spoke, out of the blue.

Xu Yanhuo frowned but restrained his temper immediately.

«You will, dear granddaughter. As soon as the media find something to focus on,» the elder explained, with the tone the one would use to talk to a dumb kid.

Xu Mei rolled her eyes and prepared to speak.

«Now you are all resting at home because of the regulations concerning the elections. When the results are out, the media will search for both of you to demand declarations. How will I be able to go out of here unnoticed then?»

That was the most extended dissertation Lin Longwei had ever heard from her. She probably said fewer words during the whole permanence at the Pearl Palace than in that one breath. And what she was saying made sense.

In fact, the law about elections was changed the year before. It became obligatory for the candidates to restrain their activities the whole week before the day of the polls. That was the reason why Lin Longwei had been able to stay at home and take care of the girl.

She was right, but the old man in front of Lin Longwei seemed to disagree.

«You are too young to understand this kind of things. You shouldn't express opinions about stuff you do not know,» the Prime Minister scolded her. «Senator Lin, what do you think?»

«I think Prime Minister Xu is right. She should remain here and rest for a few days more.»

In truth, Lin Longwei didn't understand Xu Yanhuo.

The reasoning that Xu Mei had just expressed seemed correct. Still, the man wanted to keep her nearby for some more time. He looked at her, smiling politely. His eyes became warmer, and he grinned even more brightly, pleased by the expression on her face.

Her eyes were looking at him with discontent, wounded. Her voice was colder than ever as she murmured: «birds of a feather...»

«Senator Lin, will you be so gracious to let me have a word alone with my granddaughter?» the Prime Minister asked, after noticing the looks between the two.